Freaky, unsettling, unnerving comment from Losch in his AGM talk

by FFGhost 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• FFGhost
    FFGhost

Did anybody else catch it?

He said that people who come back in the earthly resurrection would be given a body "reasonably similar" to the one they had prior to death.

What the almighty hootch?

"Reasonably"? "Similar"?

"Reasonably similar"?

It was such an odd thing to say - it was no mistake, though, since (1) he obviously read the entire thing directly from a teleprompter - he never looked down and barely even blinked and (2) he said it 2 times during the talk.

It just sounds so...so....unappealing? Gross? Icky? I can't quite find the right word.

I might expect a reasonably similar replacement for, I don't know, a discontinued item that was still under warranty, or a rental car if the location I pick up from is sold out of the model I reserved.....

But if I'm going to be pulled out of the grave, I'd like to have my exact body, shined up a bit, but still quite obviously exactly me, thank you very much.

There's a bunch of other issues I have with this phrase used during the talk, but I'll let other folks chime in before I go off on another tangent.

Did that statement have a reasonably similar reaction for anyone else out there?

• waton
    waton

since according to wt doctrine. I have payed for all my sins, inherited and DIU, I would expect to have that reflected in my coming back. Of course I know a few, that need not too much improvement to be close to the top notch rating even now. wow. but

would still prefer the other, never yet observed " You will not die" lie option.

Der Kellner aus Kärnten kennt das.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

And where in the world did this gem come from ? Out of his butt? They, the GB , have probably been pondering questions that XJW`s raise about the resurrection ,and this is the best answer they can come up with .

I`m sure some little old sister / brother will be thrilled with this new light ?

• menrov
    menrov

In WT philosophical doctrine about a resurrection, reasonably similar could be their escape car in case your loved one (or opposite) does not recognize you anymore once resurrected.

So, your former relationship(s) with those who will be resurrected, will be reasonably similar,

So much fun to look forward to.... or not

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

another bulletin from the barmy army in la la land.

• Davros
    Davros
    And where in the world did this gem come from ? Out of his butt?

What DOESN'T come out of their butt?

It's obvious they are making it up as they go along.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

They do like to come up with details that have no basis. I guess it is to reinforce the idea that they have a unique and direct pipeline to god via the holy spirit.

That said, I could think of a few areas of improvement, were I to be bodily reconstructed and brought back to life. So I'm good with being reasonably similar. :D

• SadElder
    SadElder

Previously it had been said that you would know resurrected ones by their personality.

Another choice from the belief of the month club now I guess. Where do they get this stuff?

• incognito2014
    incognito2014

I cant read their mind, but maybe it takes account of the fact that some with disfigurements may come back without them. So they will be a new improved version of what they where. So not exactly the same but similar enough for you to know that they were still them.

The whole concept has very little detail. Do they come back old and disabled or do they come back looking like they di when they were 30? Do they come back with Cancer and then it disappears slowly. Do they come back with only one leg and the other one returns in time. Are disabilities and diseases on a sliding sale where some they come back with and some they don't?

That is supposing the whole thing wasn't a load of rubbish to start with. And even if it was true they would not be coming back anyway it would just be a copy of them.

The point is even though they have made the theory up they don't really know what it means and just make wild guesses while telling the rank and file not to speculate.

• FFGhost
    FFGhost
    maybe it takes account of the fact that some with disfigurements may come back without them.

That brings up the other point I wanted to make.

For some folks, their "disability" is not viewed by them as a "disability". It's just something "different", and actually that difference is one of the greatest forces driving their entire identity and personality.

I'm thinking particularly of the deaf, especially those born deaf. The deaf have their own language, their own culture, their own community. It is a driver of "who they are".

So - when a deaf person is resurrected - is he/she going to be resurrected with fully intact hearing? That would completely freak them out, sending them into a panic. Imagine "waking up" and experiencing a sense you had never known before, unlike anything you had ever experienced in life. Previously unknown sensations are almost always initially perceived as pain.

Maybe the hearing returns gradually? But then, isn't that going to fundamentally change "who the person is"? Do they want to change? Maybe they don't want to hear - they like who they are and see no reason for the change. Will they get a choice?

Maybe a deaf person does get a choice - but maybe he decides after X months or years he doesn't like hearing and wants to go back to being deaf - it's just too weird and disorienting, and he just can't adjust. Is he allowed to "switch back"?

Or maybe he is "forced" to adjust - something controls his mind so that he doesn't want to return to deafness. That's not an appealing thought either.

And that's just deafness - you could fill in pretty much any "disability" or even "disfigurement" and you'll find some, or many, who embrace it, who would never reject it even if possible.

All of this resurrection, "reasonably similar", "perfect bodies" mumbo jumbo assumes that everyone wants a "perfect human body" - but that just simply isn't true in many cases.

As usual, even this 3 minute meditation on the consequences of the JW "resurrection" doctrine points out gaping ethical and logistical holes in the story.

But of course, JWs are trained not to think for more than 5 or 10 seconds on any topic, so for most of them, it simply isn't an issue.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit