Morning Woship: Kenneth Flodin targets "apostates"

by Sanchy 59 Replies latest jw friends

• ZAPPA-ESQUE
    ZAPPA-ESQUE

How do we contact Flodin and shove the quotation up his Jackson 5 ?

• maninthemiddle
    maninthemiddle

Here is the context of that chapter he refers to. I have not heard of this before, ive not seen it an "issue" brought up here or elsewhere, so I think they cherry picked this and probably outright fabricated the whole thing. Following this chapter is just some talk about Esau. What I pasted is the end of the subject. You can find this PDF here starting on page 687.

"THEY SHALL BE ALL TAUGHT OF GOD" We would conclude, practically, that we could not understand anything about the Bible except as it was revealed. We would, therefore, not waste a great deal of time doing what we know some people do, reading chapter after chapter, to no profit. We would not think of doing it. We would not think we were studying the Scriptures at all. We would think we were following the course that had been anything but profitable to ourselves and many others in the past--merely reading over the Scriptures.

We would say that the same Heavenly Father who had guided us to this Truth, to this understanding of the Scriptures as his children, if he had some further information for us he would bring it to our attention in some manner; and therefore we would not see the necessity of reading the New Testament every day or every year; we would not consider that necessary.

We would consider that the Scripture which says, "They shall be all taught of God," would imply that in his own appointed way God would bring to our attention whatever feature of Divine truth would be "meat in due season for the household of faith." Further, we would say that now, having satisfied ourselves respecting what the Divine Plan is, we would understand that we had reached the place that the Apostle speaks of as being a qualified ambassador of God, a qualified minister of the New Covenant, and that, as a servant or minister of the New Covenant, we now had a responsibility in making known these things that we had learned; that we were not put here primarily to read the Bible, but primarily to serve the Lord and his Truth.

It was quite proper, however, that before we came to a knowledge of the Truth, and when we were in measurable discontent of mind as to what was the Truth, that we should refrain from telling anybody else.

We remember very well in our own personal experience that after we had tried some street preaching, etc., we came to the conclusion that there was something wrong; that we did not understand what we were trying to tell to others; that we did not understand with sufficient clearness to properly present it and make sure that we were representing the Lord and his message aright, and we said to ourself, "I will stop any endeavor to teach others until I know what I believe." We think that should be the attitude of every one of us.

Why should we attempt to preach or teach anything that we do not understand? So, after God favors us in this time with an understanding of Present Truth, he has given us a knowledge of more truth than we could have gained in a thousand years if we had read and studied unaided; and now we can attempt to present it to others. Why has he given us a knowledge of this Truth?

He wishes us to be "thoroughly furnished unto every good word and work." Therefore, we should study that we may be able to speak the word of the Lord freely and know that we are not misrepresenting the Divine purpose and plan and character; and we ought therefore to give the more earnest heed to the opportunities for service and consider that the information which has been given us has been given for the very purpose that we may impart it to others--to those brethren and sisters of the Lord's family, some of whom are in Babylon yet, honest at heart, perhaps, and very desirous of knowing the truth, though perhaps very much blinded as we once were.

"SCRIPTURE STUDIES" NOT A SUBSTITUTE FOR THE BIBLE

This is not, therefore, putting the SCRIPTURE STUDIES as a substitute for the Bible, because so far as substituting for the Bible, the STUDIES, on the contrary, continually refer to the Bible; and if one has any doubt as to a reference or if one's recollection should lapse in any degree, one should refresh his memory, and, in fact, should see that his every thought is in harmony with the Bible --not merely in accord with the SCRIPTURE STUDIES, but in accord with the Bible.

We might remark that quite a number of the friends in the Truth are making it a rule to read twelve pages of the SCRIPTURE STUDIES a day, and that we do not know one who has been following this course and making use of the various means of grace the Lord has provided (Dawn and testimony meetings and Sunday meetings and Pilgrim meetings and the Berean lessons, Manna text, etc.), who has gone out of the Truth.

We know a great many who, on the contrary, have been of the opinion that they knew these things long ago, while in fact they do not know half of what they did know--they have forgotten more than half of what they read and they are those who are now stumbling--going into outer darkness. We are not wishing in this to say anything against one's poring over chapters that he does not understand and others do not understand, hoping that he might light on some truth. We have no objection to this. He has a perfect right to do so if he wishes. He has a right to spend weeks and years in this way if he chooses, but the chances even then are that when he does light on something he will have it all wrong.

Furthermore, we would suggest that merely reading twelve pages of the SCRIPTURE STUDIES would not be studying in the proper sense of the word--neither studying the Bible nor studying the SCRIPTURE STUDIES. A proper study would be to think of the meaning of every word and every sentence. The thought is, it is not to see how much one can read, but to make sure that one goes no further than he comprehends or understands, whether that means one page or twenty pages.

We should not consider it a Scripture study in any sense of the word unless our thought has grasped the matter from the standpoint of seeking to know what the Scriptures teach and seeking to call to mind these Scriptures that are being explained and to call to mind other texts, perhaps, that are not cited, or of which only a small portion is cited. If one will do all this it will not be merely a reading but a study; and from this standpoint, whoever reads two pages of SCRIPTURE STUDIES each day with the suggested passages connected with those two pages, would do more Scripture studying in that time than he could do by any other method.

Whenever he reads these pages and calls the corresponding or connecting Scriptures to mind he is drawing from the whole Bible, from Genesis to Revelation, with practically every page he reads. Now is it possible to find any other Bible study that would accomplish as much for us in the same time as this would do? If there is we ought to take it. If there is not, then we have our option.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

This is pure propaganda to convince JDubs that any photocopy of older publications used to disparage the Borg (by their own words) are faked by DEVIOUS apostates in an effort to DECEIVE others.

This is what angers me. IF I am smart enough to have discovered the devious deceit of the WTS/GB/Writing Dept and their misquotes and half-truths and outright lying about things, how can members of the GB and their Helpers really be deluded into believing what they are "selling" is The Truth"? Are they really still "captive" to all the BS that has been spun for decades? Are they really "believers"? Or, are they wicked men who are there to shear the sheep so that they can sustain their own comfortable existence and be continually worshiped by the gullible Rank & File?

Doc

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

That really was a head exploder

He talks about the apostate scripture twisting that amused me a bit.

• sparky1
    sparky1

"And now for our next 'spiritual dog and pony show'......................" - Kenneth Flodin

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

Well to be FAIR - at least he doesn't generalize all apostates or paint them all with the same brush...

Oh wait....

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Flodin did a talk when they did the fairly recent UK branch visit. I thought it was the best talk I'd ever heard and that's from a guy who sits and reads New Scientist through the meetings. It made me wonder if he actually buys into the whole thing or if he has some doubts. Even with this talk I wonder about his real conviction, especially when compared with how Morris the Turd would have delivered it.

• millie210
    millie210

Hi konceptual,

Was it the content or the delivery that made the talk good?

• nmthinker
    nmthinker

This is pretty disgusting. The WTBS has been proven to use quote mining to present lies in its publications. The FAQ section of jw.org contains many lies of omission.

http://jwsurvey.org/shunning-2/news-bulletin-jw-org-asks-can-a-person-resign-from-being-one-of-jehovahs-witnesses

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    konceptual99

I know him and his wife and yes, they are as indoctrinated as you can imagine. Many of these long time bethelites I knew, they have invested so much of their life and energy I don't see them every seeing it any different unless they are a special case. Ken is a nice enough person, his wife a southern lady is a wack job and super hardcore jw. Her watchtower comments were fire and brimstone.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit