Is there one thing that convinces you that the JW's are wrong ???

by run dont walk 42 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Mr Lebowski
    Mr Lebowski

Yah, reducing it to one thing is hard.

1) Lack of respect/value for women as individuals

2) Acceptance of such bible stories as the destruction of the city of Ai and the 42 kids being killed by the bear after teasing the balding prophet of God as fair and accurate events.

3) Making the doctrinal structure so f#$#ing complicated... after a while (when you get older and you bull#$#% detector becomes more advanced) you can smell the dead rat behind the curtain. Occam's razor - the idea that the simplest possible explanation is likely the truth, is enough on its own to give the lie to this load of crap. An autistic three-year on peyote could come up with a better theology than this one.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Nope...there are MANY things, the greatest of which are their :

LACK OF LOVE, JudgMENTAL attitude about everything and everyone, and Lack of Mercy toward even one another

Frannie B

• happyout
    happyout

This may sound weird, but one of the first things that started bugging me was reporting my time in service. I just could not make sense of why it was necessary. After all, Jehovah knew when I had been out, how many mags I placed, how many return visits, etc. Why were records being kept? And the elders were adamant that a report be turned in each month. Weird, and a little scary when I allowed myself to dwell on it.

Then bigger things started shaping my thoughts, especially the blood issue. People should not have to die for refusing medical treatment. And the way dubs looked down on other "religions" that refused medical treatment, without realising that they were doing the same thing just bugged.

I eventually got to the point where I believed little or nothing they said.

Happyout

• amac
    amac

That they are so dogmatic! You should reply to your mom, "how does she KNOW they are RIGHT?"

If I had to be more specific, it would be along the lines of Englishman's comment. The importance of the FDS and their relation to the 144,000. Which leads to whether or not the 144,000 is literal, whether or not there are 2 classes, whether or not all the understanding of bible prophecy really do have the 2nd and 3rd fullfillments as they proclaim, whether there is enough scriptural proof to be dogmatic about blood, holidays, sports, etc. Oh wait, I guess that's not just one thing.

• Pepper
    Pepper

Its a NO brainer here folks:

DISFELLOWSHIPPING is wrong if a red flag dose not pop up in your head then you are numb at both ends, and lack the sensitivity required of humans of any achieved level of status. Pepper

• logansrun
    logansrun

I hated the food.

Bradley

• stichione
    stichione

That the year for the destruction of Jerusalem is not 607 but 587.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Blissisignorance says

• The love bombing when I was new and could have time counted on my visits.
  • The 'no love' straight after baptism.
  • Exactly -- that is what does it for me. 1 John 4 vs 8 God is Love --- so his people should have great love --it just is not there

Also disfellowshipping/reinstatement -- totally unscriptural

• Victorian sky
    Victorian sky

Bradley, that's funny about the food! Okay, I think the hypocrisy, lack of love and the petty nit picking and backbitting really stood out. Also the way my mom was treated after being disfellowshipped and how the oh so loving congegation kept encouraging me to cut her off like a rotten limb , my own mother! After years of pressure to shun her, sorry to say I gave in for about 6 months and it was terrible for us both, at the same time, I had to hear from the platform that JW's are the most loving people on the face of the earth! My nonJW family were horrified by the way she was treated by other JW relatives and now that I'm out, they said they were disgusted with the religion for their total lack of love and mercy. - V Sky

• AlanF
    AlanF

There are too many specifics to think of off the top of my head. However, one thing stands out for me:

The gross dishonesty of the Watchtower system.

Pretty much every other problem can be traced back to this.

The dishonesty is first and foremost self-dishonesty, and it stems from the required belief in the Fundamental Doctrine of Jehovah's Witnesses -- that the Governing Body speaks for God and must be obeyed in everything. The dishonesty first appears when JWs (and I doubt that there's a JW on the planet who hasn't had these reservations) begin to squelch their reservations in order to maintain their belief in a resurrection, a coming "new world" and so forth. They're given no choice by the JW system: pretend to believe, or you'll get kicked out. By the time most JWs realize (or experiences a few mental glimmers of realization) how they've been hoodwinked, they've been in the system long enough to develop personal ties that they don't want to break, even at the cost of not being true to themselves. They justify it by thinking, "Oh, I don't need to worry because Jehovah will straighten it all out." Many who become JWs experience a time of doubt during their initial study, but either deliberately or by being deceived (mostly willingly, though) submerge their doubts for later consideration. But later consideration usually doesn't come for a long time, if ever, once they've committed themselves.

George Orwell's 1948 book Nineteen Eighty-Four well describes the mindset of Jehovah's Witnesses as various forms of doublethink, where a person has enough control over his or her thinking to know something barely consciously enough to know that they need to kill the thoughts in order to survive in the system. It's pretty sad that the people who pride themselves so much on being "Jehovah's name people" and who claim to worship "the God of truth" have so completely subverted truth.

AlanF

• Share this

Google+
    Pinterest
    Reddit