Midweek Meeting looooooooong prayers.

by Davros 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Davros
    Davros
    Oh...how I can relate to this thread! You'd think Davros & I attend the same congregation

I won’t tell if you won’t 🤐😬

but seriously it’s not a talk. It’s supposed to be a prayer. So many self righteous around. Guess they are just about everywhere.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

DAVROS:

The problem with long prayers is that sometimes someone doesn’t pray enough on their own time OR also because some brother thinks it’s his right to teach everybody a lesson. Running overtime shows his contempt for everybody’s private time among other things.

Unfortunately, the Witness religion lends itself to be a place where elders can be little dictators...I remember an arrogant older brother who thought he was ‘lordly’ and was prone to looong prayers!

He was the book study conductor for a time. One evening I got up and walked out while he droned on. If he were still living I would LOVE to tell him I’m not in the religion anymore and what I think about the whole thing.

• resolute Bandicoot
    resolute Bandicoot

loooooooong Prayers - Two words -Virtue Signaling.

RB

I use to thing of it this way. If you gave a 5 min. prayer and there was a 120 people in the audience you just wasted ten hours of people's lives.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

It only takes around 45 seconds to 2 minutes to channel all that energy to joke-hova to help that thing ruin the whole earth. Prayers lasting longer than that only waste everyone's time. And even that is too long--who wants any resources expended to enslave the whole earth?

• DisArmed
    DisArmed

Reminds me of a pretentious C.O. who would bend over at the waist during prayer. If I had to do again I would have asked WTF?

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS

THEN, they call on Brother Blabbermouth who doesn’t shut up to give the concluding prayer, but he’s not really giving a prayer, he’s giving another talk, it’s ANOTHER recap of the meeting and it’s the same points we just heard three or more times already.

Every congregation has one or more of these self-righteous brothers who give 10-minute concluding prayers!

We had an 80-year-old Elder who would give these long and painful prayers. After a couple of minutes of thanking Jehovah, the ''faithful and discreet slave'' and recapping the long and repetitive meeting, your brain would hurt. The pain wouldn't stop until everyone said, AMEN!

Long prayers are given from brothers who like to show the congregation how spiritual they are!

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Long ago some little kid yelled amen in the middle. We all knew why.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

Never made too much sense to me to give a speech (pray) addressed to an entity that never talks back or even acknowledges that you exist.

But when I was a kid, if I left one of my baby teeth under my pillow when I went to bed, I always woke up with a silver dollar in it's place! Who knew that the Tooth Fairy was so generous!

just saying!

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

Jehovah 22 times...

And "Father" interchanged 21 times with Gee-HO'-Vuh.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit