Midweek Meeting looooooooong prayers.

by Davros 24 Replies latest jw friends

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

There was a dear old CO that I loved that always told anyone assigned to a prayer at the assembly/convention to be mindful NOT to pray for so long that the audience thinks you are jealous that you did not get the talk as your assignment.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

maybe one of you ex bethelites can confirm/refute this--

someone at a bethel home breakfast was selected to say the prayer. on and on it went; when he finally said amen--he opened his eyes and everyone else had finished their breakfast.

i heard that one-50 years ago. i do want it to be true.....

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

If you are still in the borg and you know a certain brother that will give a very long prayer at the end of the meeting, be a leader and tell others to follow you to leave the KH very quietly when the brother will not stop praying anytime soon. It would be hilarious when the brother finally say Amen and see only one brother who is napping in his seat. The brother giving the prayer would probably get very angry and say Amen very loudly to wake up the napping brother who has the key to lock up the KH! I bet he won’t give a very long prayer again!

• Davros
    Davros

At the memorial a couple of years ago, an elderly brother was chosen to say the opening prayer. He started the prayer with: Jehovah our father in heaven, oh this is a most sacred night. ‘‘Twas Nisan 14 and your glory was seen......and he just droned on and on and on........ really, your using a now defunct kingdom song as your opening prayer?

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

Long Prayers:

• Someone reached over and lightly "dinged" the bell used for timing talks in the ministry school
    • Our Hall was being remodeled so a multi congregational Memorial was held in a hotel conference facility. An old anointed Brother who had gotten too old to give the Memorial talk, was asked to give the closing prayer instead so he gave his Memorial talk anyway...in the form of a prayer. He reviewed all the points that were already covered in the Memorial talk, even quoted scriptures. The audience was huge and the ones toward the back began to murmur and talk amongst themselves. Soon people began packing up their things to go.
    • During a long prayer a frustrated little girl screamed "WHEN IS IT GONNA BE OVER !!" ( A lot of chuckles among the audience could be heard)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit