Electric Cordless Yard Tools - Does Anyone Else Use Them?

by RubaDub 17 Replies latest jw friends

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

I agree, traditional engines seem so archaic by comparison. I use the Ryobi weed whacker as well and have considered the mower.

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

I have the 40v yard tools from Husqvarna. They are heavy-duty, 40 volt, and well made. I have the weed trimmer, hedge trimmer, and leaf blower. My 10 year old Honda mower is still going strong, so no need to rid myself of that. It'll probably be going strong another 10 years, as Honda's are fantastic machines.

I wish I had invested in Husqvarna cordless tools years ago! They have saved me bundles of time. I had corded electric yard tools before, and it's such a pain in the ass! The Husqvarna tools are on another level, right up there with ECHO and STIHL.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I actually ended up with two batteries for my Ryobi stuff. I had bought the trimmer and blower a couple of years earlier. When I was looking to buy a new mower, the battery used for the trimmer and battery quit. So I just decided to buy the mower with the new battery and use the battery for all three items.

Stupid me, but a month or so later I saw a Home Depot ad that said Ryobi has a 3 year warranty on the batteries. I called Ryobi and they confirmed it. I had no receipt but they just asked me for the serial numbers of the trimmer, blower, charger and battery that I had originally purchased. He confirmed that these units were part of the same bundled package that I had purchased. The guy had me run a test on the battery and charger while on the phone and he confirmed the problem was the battery. He said yes, it is still under warranty. About a week later I had a new battery. Not a penny out of pocket. They just told me to recycle the old one or take it back to Home Depot for recycling.

In any case, I have the new battery that came with the mower and another new one that Ryobi shipped to me still in the box. One 5 aH battery is enough for me to mow the yard and then use the trimmer and blower.

Overall, extremely happy with the product and service.

Note: Maybe I need to buy a house with a larger yard so I can use both batteries the same day .... lol.

Rub a Dub

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

Well I guess I should go with 40V then.

Mine are about 7 years old, but I ended up buying Ryobi 18v setup, Hedge Trimmer, Blower, and weed wacker. All run on same battery and it does the job, but the blower is not as strong as I would like. I have a corded one and there is a big difference.

Still have a gas mower, but it's on it's way out, so maybe I will look into a battery powered one.

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

@RubaDub:

FYI: You need to use ALL the batteries to keep them fresh and charging properly. Unpackage all of them, and then use a different one each week when you do yardwork. If you just leave that "extra" one in the packaging for a few years, it'll just die and won't charge at all.

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

I'd be interested in the weed wacker. Actually, I have been considering getting a few other tools (drill/screw driver) but I'd like to also get a solar charging station for recharging the batteries. Has anyone already gone down this path or done the math as to how much is required. I don't need instant recharge. I just don't want to be dependent on a functioning electrical system. It would be nice to have some functioning power tools available even in the situation where the power was out, plus no fossil fuel burning to keep them charged.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000
    but I'd like to also get a solar charging station for recharging the batteries. Has anyone already gone down this path or done the math as to how much is required.

No. I am in the US, where we don't believe in renewable energy, but are instead focused on promoting and defending "clean" coal energy.

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

@FadeToBlack

I just recently upgraded my workshop tools as well. For years, I only had corded power tools and (1) Black & Decker cheap-o drill. This year, I invested in a suite of Tools from RIDGID. They are fantastic!!!!! 18volt, brushless motors, nice carry bag, excellent ergonomics, and if you buy them at Home Depot and register the batteries, they'll warranty them for life!!!! Right now is the best time to buy the kits, because Black Friday and Xmas sales are starting up.

If you're into alot of tools like me, this is probably the best package right now:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-5-Tool-Combo-w-Bonus-OCTANE-Brushless-Angle-Grinder-OCTANE-Brushless-JobMax-Multi-Tool-R9652-R86042B-R862105B/311091078

However, if you only need a driver and drill, than this will do the job:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Brushless-Hammer-Drill-and-Impact-Driver-2-Tool-Combo-Kit-with-2-4-0Ah-Batteries-Charger-R9205/206127587

Get yourself a Milwaukee Bit Set and drill set, and you are good to go at home!

Here's the exact drill bit set I have:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-SHOCKWAVE-IMPACT-DUTY-Titanium-Drill-Bit-Set-23-Piece-48-89-4631/205879024

And here's a good bit set:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-SHOCKWAVE-Impact-Duty-Steel-Driver-Bit-Set-45-Piece-48-32-4023/301024184?MERCH=REC-_-PLP_Search-_-NA-_-301024184-_-N

Hope this helped!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit