Electric Cordless Yard Tools - Does Anyone Else Use Them?

by RubaDub 17 Replies latest jw friends

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I must say, I have had my battery mower, trimmer, blower for about a year now and could not be happier (Ryobi 40 volt stuff). The same battery works in everything. Just plug and play.

Yes, they are more expensive to purchase, probably 30% to 50% more than gas. But not having to buy gas, oil, mix it, pull on a cord a hundred times, change spark plugs, etc etc etc.

I do have a relatively small yard and I can mow it in about 15 minutes, then trim around the edges, then blow the grass away.

Yes, replacement batteries cost around $100. But I got one with the mower and one with the trimmer/blower. I actually only use one since it lasts for everything I need to do. So I have a new battery in the box that I can save until this one starts to die. Typical life is rated at 5-7 years.

In any case, just pressing a button to start things is so great. And don't think these things now are not powerful. I think the trimmer could cut your foot off if you got it in the way, not like the old electric stuff.

Rub a Dub

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

I have a 56volt weedeater. On one charge it easily weed eats my one acre yard. No gas and 2 cycle oil, pulling a rope to start it or smoke and noise. Just turn it on and go. I couldn't be happier with it. Still Totally ADD

• tiki
    tiki

My ryobi hedge trimmer and tree limb cutter...favorite toys! I love trimming and chopping and yanking out invasive shrubs and overgrown stuff.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

I love my cordless lawnmower. I've had it for about ten years working on the same battery.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

I have the ryobi lawn mower and whipper-snipper. 2 batteries are great.

My daughter has a hedge trimmer and a whipper sniper from Black and Decker. Light weight and powerful batteries.

Goodbye clumsy cords.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Cordless appliances such as garden tools is now a viable choice.

Much less noise, air pollution and cost for gas, buying that gas and storing it.

I'm in a condo so I dont use those tools but I just bought a Dyson V11 cordless vacuum and must say its great, works better than a very good Miele I own, which I didn't expect.

Now I dont have to buy vacuum bags and fuss with a electric cord dragging around.

Go electric or cordless if you can.

Manufacturers are now making these tools on par in their operation with other gas or electric driven tools/appliances.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

I read somewhere that that cars are so much cleaner burning these days, that within a few years, in Los Angeles, the combined air pollution that lawnmowers and blowers put out, will surpass that of cars.

I bought a battery lawn mower about 8-9 years ago but it failed to hold a charge, within a few months. I returned it and got another one and the same thing happened.

I'm hearing good things about the updated technology and would consider getting one now.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

i bought my 4th electric mower when i moved into my present house in 2016. it was cheap--works fine..but that damn cord really held things up.

this summer i bought a swift 40 volt cordless--and can mow my lawn in 20 mins...which is just about how long the charge lasts.

the mower seems very well made and tough. i paid £85 ( UK pounds ) for it--so i got quite a bargain...the battery alone costs that much ! it takes about 4 hours to charge. I almost like mowing the lawn now. i definitely recommend it.

i then bought a cheap Beldray stick vacuum cleaner--cordless. about £60 in tesco's. does the whole house on one charge..but i tend to use it instead of a dust pan and brush

• Simon
    Simon

Yeah, I have a cordless mower and strimmer, they work great esp. the newer lithium battery based ones (and double plus if you can use the same batteries for multiple devices).

The engine powered ones are probably better for tougher work, but they are more maintenance and much noisier.

I'm surprised that robot mowers are still expensive and haven't caught on enough to be more mainstream. I had one in the UK, 15 years ago, it was absolutely fantastic. I expected to be able to get another one cheaper by now.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I'm hearing good things about the updated technology and would consider getting one now.

Pete Zahut ...

I would just say, the technology is soooo different from just a few years ago. With the lithium-ion batteries standard now, they hold a charge much longer and don't have the "memory" problems with nickel-cadmium (Ni-Cad) batteries that generally are no longer available for this type of equipment.

I checked around when I bought my stuff but found the 40 volt Ryobi things to be very well recommended and long-lasting. Other brands may serve the purpose too.

But living here in South Florida using these things year-round, I have to say if someone gave me a two-stroke anything that I have to mix gas and oil, push some button 10 times, pull the cord three times, push it again twice, then pull the cord another 10 times or whatever the instructions are and hope it starts while I am sweating my butt off standing in 90 degree weather in the sun, I would hand it back to them and say thank you.

And if you have a gas blower, repeat the process above.

I prefer one squeeze of a button, snap the battery between tools, no smell, little noise and off I go.

Rub a Dub

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit