Bjork, Tori Amos or Cher

by Brummie 35 Replies latest jw friends

• smurfette
    smurfette

Of the three, Bjork is definitely the best. Tori and Cher are both scary to me. Especially Cher!

• Aztec
    Aztec

Smurfette and Asortafairytale, Cher is spooky, that's why you're scared of her...LOL! She scares me too!

~Aztec

PS Just listen to "Army of Me" by Bjork ;-)

• Ariell
    Ariell

Tori is definitely on the top of my list of singer/songwriters. I absolutely adore her. Bjork's unique music style is what caught my attention and still holds it today. It just turns on something inside of you. True, she is kind of weird and strange, but that's what I like about her. She doesn't try to conform and fit in with all the other hollywood cookie-cutter types, which makes some come off as artificial. Bjork is real. That's for damn sure.

I'm not too crazy about Cher's music, but I like her attitude. "To hell with the rest of the world. I'm gonna do what makes me happy." She has a young spirit. Who says you have to turn into an old frump and grump at 55 and act your age. Why not live life to the fullest?

• Francois
    Francois

Cher is a must better actress than she is singer. And she's the only woman I know who has silicone lips.

• OrbitingTheSun
    OrbitingTheSun
    Which one has more class?

As much as I love Bjork, "classy" is not a word I'd use to describe her. Of the 3 Tori has to be the classiest.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Cher classy?

Ha! Queen of camp pop-rock ballads, wearer of tiny outfits, patron saint of plastic surgeons and damn astute buiness woman she may be, but classy she is not.

Likewise, Bjork is quirky, but not classy. Revisiting 'Debut', now I find it thin and unsatisfying in the main whereas I loved it eight years ago. She's still put some great songs out in the intervening years, but she is more a track oriontated artist, as distinct from a song oriontated artist.

Tori; Little Earthquakes is as good as it was when it came out. Her latest songs lack edge; but she's happily married with a kid now, not the edgy, anchorless, alternative girl she was, so it's not surprising. But whilst as quirky as Bjork, she has class, and a ton of it.

I saw her in Rotterdam this year; compared to the other three times I've seen her (two nights running in 1996, 1998) it was weak, the quirky girl by numbers, but it was in an arena, whereas the first two gigs I saw were in small halls and will still be memorable in twenty years time. Maybe she can still do the magic I saw in '96 in smaller venues.

• thebeliever
    thebeliever

I love Bjork, for her originality and amazing voice.... that being said it's really hard to compare her to tori amos.

I love tori amos too, her album "From the Choir-girl Hotel" is absolute perfection.

"well I know, we're dying and there's no sign of a parachute.... in this chapel, little chapel of love can we get a little grace and some elegance.... if we scream in cathedrals, why can't that be beautiful, why does there gotta be a sac.. sac... sacrafice...."

or from Spark:

"if the divine master plan is perfection, maybe next I'll give Judas a try, trusting your soul to the ice-cream assassins, here , he-here, here.... you say you don't want it again and again but you don't don't really mean it... you say you don't want it, the circus we're in, but you don't, don't really mean it....You don't, don't really mean it....

How many fates turn around in the over-time, balarina's that have fins that you'll never find.... you thought that you were the bomb, yes well, so did I..... say you don't want it, say you don't want it, say you don't want it... again and again, but you don't, don't really mean it... say you don't want it, this circus we're in, but you don't, don't really mean it"

if only you could hear it, with the music and her vocal inflection...

I'm not going to comment on Cher, except to say that she is a great performer of superficial, commercial music...

• asortafairytale
    asortafairytale

The believer~~
    I have to agree with you, Choirgirl is an amazing album, and "Iieee" is one of my favorite songs. But, when talking about amazing Tori songs, you can't forget "Icicle" from Under The Pink...

Icicle icicle
    Where are you going
    I have a hiding place
    When spring marches in
    Will you keep watch for me
    I hear them calling
    Gonna lay down
    Gonna lay down

Greeting the monster in our easter dresses
    Father says bow your head like the good book says
    Well I think the good book is missing some pages
    Gonna lay down