I realize this is odd, but a "how you woke up" thread and the personal stories that are told which I know we all enjoy, made me think of this.
In helping my wife and a couple others get the ball rolling, I realized the thing that resonated with me, didn't even move the needle with them. I wanted to rail on and on about blood, because that was my conduit to waking up, but for my wife it was about shunning. 2 of my friends, one still in the process......for them it was about 607 and "administrative BS".
These had no effect on me for some reason.
- Apostates with signs (the angrier, the more i felt they were just fullfilling prophecy)
- Christians with signs (they were usually rude, and talking about the Trinity......next)
- UN scandal. I didn't care.
- Old friends trying to get me to think about why I wasn't allowed to go to college or play sports
- "bad" Elders. I actually grew up around and with some really good guys. Guys I felt really believed, and tried their best to be balanced and extend mercy.
I am a firm believer that the best you can do to get through that
wall in a JW's mind is to just loosen one brick. You have to do so
gently. Once that brick is out, its up to them to poke around, look
through to the other side, and see if there is anything that resonates
Everyone has their brick. The rest of the wall could be stable.