"extremism" -- What *specifically* did Russia ban Jehovah's Witnesses for?

by Pallbearer 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Pallbearer
    Pallbearer

Russia's reason for banning Jehovah's Witnesses is said to be due to EXTREMISM. But what exactly does that mean, or refer to? Specifically, what practice (or practices) of Jehovah's Witnesses does Russia consider to be EXTREME? I am asking this because I have yet to read an article on the subject that sheds enough light. I am always left wondering WHICH of the many practices of Jehovah's Witnesses is it that has caused the Russian Authorities to take such a stand against them and to confiscate all of their properties.

Do any of you here have a clue about this? If so, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Was it because of any of the following reasons?

1. JWs refuse to do military service.
    2. JWs do not get involved in politics.
    3. JWs refuse to salute a national emblem.
    4. JWs teach that the worldwide political system is under the control of Satan.
    5. JWs consider the Russian Orthodox Church (which Putin happens to be a member of) to be a false religion.
    6. JWs believe that they alone have the truth.
    7. JWs peculiar stand regarding "blood".
    8. JWs don't celebrate birthdays or holidays.
    9. JWs disciple-making work, going door-to-door.
    10. JWs have a disfellowshipping policy that sometimes "divides families".

Was it because of ALL of the above?

Was it because of SOME of the above?

Was it because of NONE of the above?

Thanks for any help that you can provide.

Paul

• resolute Bandicoot
    resolute Bandicoot

Or was it because the Borg was really just a cover for a big money pump back to the USA?

RB

• stillMS
    stillMS

I'd say 'ALL of the above' plus some other local (rational and not too rational) reasons

• Anna Marina
    Anna Marina

If I remember correctly Joseph Rutherford got put in prison because of the Finished Mystery. A book that explained every verse of the Bible prophecies of Revelation and Ezekiel. By1920 he had been released and was helpfully explaining that the world had legally ended.

Without any cost, absolutely free for $6.50 (you are just paying for the handling and paper cost (at a bargain wholesale rate)) he was now distributing Studies in the Scriptures. With them, your Bible would become a new book to you. Hmm wonder what the title was?

Just a stab in the dark, maybe Russia still understands the concept of blasphemy and suspects it can negatively impact the population.

Communication becomes tricky when you mess with semantics.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

I'm not sure that anyone in this forum would have direct insight into Russian government decisions.

It doesn't take much digging to find that the general motivation of the Russian government making an example of Jehovah's Witnesses is that they don't want US religious sects affecting Russian people.

Of course, statements that "human governments" will soon "cease to exist" and that Russia in particular is supposedly a biblical 'beast', and that "multitudes will soon lose their lives" could also play a part in Russia's view that some JW teachings are extremist.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Not Russian orthodox is the biggest. The being us based, the non participation in flag, military, blood would play into it. And shunning. Was there miney laundering?

As noted, Mormons, scientologists and others also made the list

• mikeflood
    mikeflood

Because for them the Borg is like a pawn. They think JW is an "american religion"

They want to poke Uncle Sam.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

"What *specifically* did Russia ban Jehovah's Witnesses for?"

Hmm. Well let's see now. You have an American based ''religion'' enforcing 'extreme' policies in Russia's country. Such as hoodwinking very, very young impressionable minds into bap(trap)tism. Only to find out TTATT later in life when you realize you can't leave the Borg without losing everything, like friends and family.

Secondly, a blood policy which has been known to flip flop causing needless and untimely deaths.

An archaic two-witness rule which goes back to the stone age and has no place in todays standards.

So,

!) Shunning policy

2) A blood policy

3) Two witness rule

And of honorable mention, cruelty to children with undue influence pressure. Like having to sit out in the hallway or principals office when the rest of the class gets to eat a birthday cake, Xmas goodies, just things like these. Just extreme and total unnecessary and uncalled for pressure and extremes.

As Winston said once, maybe Russia got it ''right''.

So yes.. All the above, and you can add some too.

• was a new boy
  • Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

According to some statements by the Russian authorities, it appears to be

A. The destruction of Famillies due to the cruel shunning policy

B. What we would term 'hate speach' toward the state and other religions

C. The blood ban putting Russian lives at risk

Of course, there are further reasons they don't talk about publicly.

Such as the fact they are a specifically American cult (like Scientology & Mormonism, also banned) which fleeces Russian citizens of their hard earned cash and sends it back to a(rich) American cult.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit