Dealing With Smelly People

by minimus 30 Replies latest jw friends

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

MINIMUS:

Too bad he didn’t take advice of brothers who tried to help him...There’s a lot of desperate women in the ‘truth’ but even THEY would run from this!

And on a similar topic:..if I were there (which I’m glad I’m not) I would NOT want to be introduced to anybody’s prison Witness/homeless study either - and not just because these people smell.

• tiki
    tiki

Some people suffer from an ailment that alters their chemistry causing foul body odor.....that is a difficult thing to deal with. But just plain slobs quite another. In some cases mental illness is a factor in a person not properly attending to his personal body health and hygiene.....

• JimmyYoung
    JimmyYoung

To assume that smell is because of not taking care of ones self is just wrong thinking. First off many people have conditions. I had an uncle that would shower before meeting his hair still wet would walk in and have a smell. His trucks for work would carry that smell. Now they can treat sweat glands with botox to temporarily stop sweat glands from producing in people with hyperactive glands. I am sure some may have bad hygiene rabbits but I am sure the majority have a health issue.

• Giordano
    Giordano

I had a different experience for what it's worth.

Our Assembly was held at the Hunts Point facility in the Bronx N.Y. Black folks were the mainstay of the JW KH's and field service in that area soon to join with Spanish Friends.

Now I came from an Italian family and my mother was some what outspoken against Jews and Blacks for reasons she could never articulate.

At the age of 16 and newly Baptized I attended this Circuit Assembly. It was considerably over crowded...... they had folding chairs on every space possible. When there was a break in the talks I got up, like just about everyone in attendance, to stretch my legs and or seek a bathroom.

You couldn't stride down a proper aisle you could only walk in back of someone with no more then a couple of inches of separation. Under normal circumstances you could have been arrested for unlawful contact.

I'd never been crammed into a crowd like this. Moving with the crowd, It was belly to butt, always a black brother or sister urging me along. Having been warned by Mom that black folks smelled I wasn't sure what I would be getting into.

What I smelled was soap, talc, a bit of perfume and cologne. We were pressed together at times. It was intimate......... there was a lot of physical contact. It was hot with no air conditioning.....All in all It was one of my great memories.

In the years to follow I never once smelled anything inappropriate when attending a KH, Assembly, riding in a car for service etc. from any JW from any race.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

I don't mean to pounce on our European friends, but in my experience this is especially problematic in Europe. Not to say that here in the US, you don't find smelly people, but in my travels to Europe the stench of B.O. is pretty common.

• Simon
    Simon

Just get one of those car air fresheners that normally hang from the mirror, put it on a ribbon and then 'award' it to them like you're giving them an Olympic gold medal while you mutter "just going to leave this here for you ... stinky!"

Guaranteed to go down well :)

We had a liquor store near us and holy crap, the woman there stank, like not just "ooh, I caught a slight whiff of something then, someone didn't shower this morning!" but full on "holy crap, I need to not inhale until I'm outside, this person has never seen soap or water in a year or more". The shop closed down - you can't work in customer service and be that bad.

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

Used to go out in service with a sister that smelled pretty bad. she As kids we would press our faces against the windows, it was the only space you could breathe.

• minimus
    minimus

Jimmy Young, you say you are sure the majority of smelly people have a health issue.

I think it’s a minority. Some people do not shower or bathe. Or if they do it’s infrequent. It’s usually laziness.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

I agree Min. Even so, there are those cases that confuse until more info is provided. We had a couple in their forties who dressed like hillbillies and reeked. She needed a shave and wore short nylon calf high nylon stocking socks with a midi skirt. He tended to dip his hand into the front of his pants to scratch his bullocks before he shook your hand. Years later I learned that as a young woman she witnessed her mother and sister burn to death in a house fire. OK, she gets a pass for being mentally fractured. Him? Not so much.

• LV101
    LV101

Some might have a condition as JY referred to above but for the most part they are just plain lazy and don't care. I've noticed some ethnic people visiting from foreign lands smell horrendous and shopping at one of the country's most exclusive department stores. Even doctors who have them as clients mention how bad their hygiene is -- this can't be healthy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit