Ridiculous ways you kept your "time going" in service?

by HereIgo 34 Replies latest jw experiences

• freddo
    freddo

redvip2000

Yup, I was that elder. Especially when I was secretary and the CO was a-visitin'.

I remember one family where they had four kids and two of them were desperately ill. I mean in hospital for weeks at a time - parents visiting and staying overnight miles away and their "hours were low". (Gasp! Horror!)

To my shame I remember hounding them for their reports one month "to get the records in order" for the upcoming CO visit and I didn't want them "going irregular".

The mother who was (still is) a quiet, dignified lady who never said much answered the phone to me and said "Oh Freddo is this what it's all about? Numbers on a piece of paper?"

I was confused and said "Sorry I don't follow ... "

She said (and this is the only time in twenty five years of friendship I ever heard any sarcasm or sharpness in her voice) "Just put me down for 200 hours of hospital visits looking after my children!" And she put the phone down.

Good for her!

• HereIgo
    HereIgo

Freddo wow that's deep. But when the CEO, excuse me CO comes you gotta make sure your employees, congregation are keeping their sales up, magazines.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

It's been so long but how much time did you accumulate each month when talking to unbelieving family members, co-workers, and neighbors, how was that classified? I accumulated a lot of hours talking with co-workers and as I recall just to mention the name Jehovah you could count that time. My old friends before becoming a JW told me, "it was Jehovah this and Jehovah that, every word out of your mouth". So I'am wondering why did I go out knocking on doors, I got my hours easily each month.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

I would blatantly make up hours on my slip. I did the same for my wife too (she never handed a report in, i'd do it for her).

I was doing about 5 hours a month (tops) but putting down 8 or 9. Never placed mags coz i never tried but i'd put something like 12 mags, 4 books.

I'd work with my brother in law or wife or mother in law and we'd just feather knock and walk slowly. It was an hour of hell and acting as if you were "into it" every time.

• Syme
    Syme

The most ridiculous I heard ever, was from 2 married couples of regular pioneers, that went on vacation together, by car.

Those unbelievable guys would give leaflets or memorial invitations to the employees in every toll station they encountered. Since the road trip was 8 hours long and full of toll stations, they counted 8 hours in going, and another 8 hours in return!

I remember how startled I was when they shared their story upon their return, that they acutally told it with such enthusiasm, as if they had come up with a brilliant and praiseworthy idea! I didn't have many doubts back then, but I remember feeling very irritated on hearing it. It was one of the times you realize there's something seriously wrong with this whole thing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit