City of Sodom discovered

by Saved_JW 23 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Saved_JW
  • cantleave
    cantleave
    Interesting, I guess an asteroid impact would go down in mythology as a punishment from god.
  • EdenOne
    EdenOne

The impact of an asteroid of such magnitude would have left a far greater impression on the region's collective memory, wouldn't it? I don't recall other ancient accounts of "fire from the skies" causing massive destruction on mankind. Besides, where is the crater that could provide evidence of such impact?

Eden

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe
    Besides, where is the crater that could provide evidence of such impact?

Could've exploded in the air as with the Tunguska event. No crater but it certainly could've still caused death/fires/structure damage.

• Simon
    Simon

This doesn't make the bible story any more credible than the Avengers story being set in New York makes Iron Man and Loki real.

Yes, New York is very real.

Anyone writing a story they want to be believable usually includes settings, people and events that people are familiar with especially if they want to make it a "tale of caution".

If there is a link between the site and the bible story then it's likely no different than when modern day assholes attribute some disaster to people sinning against "gods laws". Of course it's not true now and isn't any more credible because it happened 3,000 years ago and was written on papyrus.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe
    jeeze someone's wound up. I don't think anyone was here claiming that the discovery was evidence of the bible's divine backing. While the bible thumpers always claim this to be the case, I think that the more of this stuff we find and demystify (i.e. it was just a random asteroid or an earthquake in a seismically active region) the more it objectively demonstrates that tales like this were just people trying to make sense of nature with a primitive understanding of things.
  • cappytan
    cappytan
    I'm glad Simon said it.
  • LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

City of Sodom discovered

Great!!

Can't wait to go there and sample some of its forbidden delights!

• OverlappingGeneralizations
    OverlappingGeneralizations
    The article failed to mention that they also found a clay vessel inscribed with the words "AstroGlide". While astrologists were initially puzzled to its use, the rest of the world knew they had stumbled upon Sodom...
  • Fisherman
    Fisherman
    Even if the location is not Sodom, the researchers said the discovery is still important because it has shed light on a vast lower and upper city.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit