22 fascinating maps that show how Americans speak English differently across the US

by blondie 22 Replies latest jw friends

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Poor Philadelphia with their bizarre belief that a "sub" is a "hoagie."

They're lock-step with Watchtower on that one (anyone remember the "hoagies" served at district conventions?)

• zeb
    zeb

English.

".. and there are some places where it completely disappears; like America where they haven't spoken it for years.."

(My Fair Lady)

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

I heard somewhere that the mass media was homogenizing speech throughout the nation partly obscuring local accents. It's nice to know that such accents can survive but without a common media we might, in a hundred years, become like China where regional dialects make each other's speech incomprehensible.

• blondie
    blondie

Of course, zeb, the speaker felt that the British did not speak English well either, having a lot of other varieties.

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

I would like to know what everyone calls this:

I grew up in the South and we called it a buggy, where I live now, they call it a cart or a shopping cart.

Also, Missouri gal here ... and they say "pop", but I have heard Missourians from the other side of the state call it "soda". In Texas, we called it all "coke" ... as in ... what kind of coke would you like to drink?

• blondie
    blondie

https://www4.uwm.edu/FLL/linguistics/dialect/staticmaps/q_75.html

shopping cart seems to be the winner at 77%

Connected with that, I lived in the Midwest and moved to just north of NYC in the winter. I walked into the grocery store and looked around for the carts....was told they were kept outside.....wow....I lived in blizzard alley and the carts were kept inside.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Really interesting blondie - I love stuff like this.

• Simon
    Simon

Yeah, me too.

You'd be amazed at the UK where there are local dialects, sometimes many within a city - you can tell exactly which part of Manchester or the surrounding area someone comes from and each will often have some unique expressions. Probably caused by long periods of people being less mobile - generations live and die in the same small towns.

• carla
    carla

If you were ever a waitress you have come across the soda dilemma on occasion. Guy asks for booze of choice and soda, soda? what kind? in my neck of the woods that could mean Coke, Sprite, etc... his booze of choice could have gone with any soda choices, he looked at me like I was a moron, naturally he meant seltzer. Growing up we had pop.

'Doggy bags' have also gone out of fashion, they are now boxes. We were in a different state a number of years back and I asked for a doggy bag and the server had no clue at all as to what my request might be.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Trolley

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit