Young People Ask... When Can I Start Dating?

by pale.emperor 34 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Funchback
    Funchback

Here's my take...

You might be among the many youths who are wisely putting off dating until they’re old enough to know themselves better.

What if we changed just one word to make it better:

You might be among the many youths who are wisely putting off baptism until they’re old enough to know themselves better.

Brian

• problemaddict 2
    problemaddict 2

"The bloom of youth" is always funny to me. I personally wouldn't recommend anyone south of 30 get married honestly. But this caveat has JW's barely out of puberty, ready to jump on the marriage train at 20. Crazy.

Lets be honest here......as a man in JW land, getting a woman is like shooting fish in a barrel.

This article is painful to read. Its written for a level of comprehension that does not exist in normal society.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Ironic is it not that J Rutherford the leading orchestrater of the JWS once discouraged people to even getting married since its was by his postulation that the end was coming soon and that there was more important work to be done, like distributing the WTS. literature to the public.

That " End of This System of Things " is still on isn't ?

People who get married young like in their teens and early 20's have a high divorce rate and that holds true with the JWs as well, the youngest girl in my Hall was 15, the guy my best friend was 18.

I can verify that.

• schnell
    schnell

@Finklestein, the book was called "Singles", wasn't it? Amazing how the same basic message is still being repeated.

Why the JW cult must resemble the Jedi order in the prequels is beyond me.

• Saethydd
    Saethydd

@Finklestein, the book was called "Singles", wasn't it? Amazing how the same basic message is still being repeated.

Why the JW cult must resemble the Jedi order in the prequels is beyond me.

Heh, much the same thought occurred to me whenever I played a Jedi in Star Wars: the Old Republic. I remember thinking how familiar that mindset felt.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

I don't mean to play devil's advocate here, and I also do not agree that the only appropriate setting for a sexual relationship is marriage. But I do feel like there are good general standards that can be followed.

One must keep in mind that even practing safe sex leaves the possibility of the girl getting pregnant, which if both parties are not at least nominally prepared for it will cause a lot of problems. Either the burden of a child before one is ready or the emotional baggage of having aborted one's child, a decision which can haunt one decades later. So I would say the first standard to keep in mind is maturity.

Secondly I recommend that love be found amongst the couple, for one never knows which partner one may have to raise a child with.

These are personal standards however not ones I would push on anyone else. It is entirely possible that by advocating its strict stance on such matters the WTBTS is merely trying to avoid any lapses at all, however no matter what their intention no number of rules and guidelines can fully counter human nature, and in the end it seems more likely to cause one to have an unhealthy focus on sex and then have feelings of guilt over it.

I know what you're saying, and that's fine because it's your decision. It's when it becomes dictated to young ones by 6 old men who have no idea, with written rules with sanctions and gossip if you deviate from this article that's the problem. Some non JW's will have their own morals that are stricter than the WT's but as long as it's their decision thats fine.

• Luo bou to
    Luo bou to

maybe the WT should design and market jw org approved unisex chastity belts sorry pale emperor my bad off topic

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    OneEyedJoe - "That made me think of something - they put such focus in the questions on the person being of the opposite sex. I guess dating rules don't apply to gay kids raised in the cult!"

Well, there was an alleged "gay underground" at Bethel... it had to have started somehow. :smirk:

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    Carla Are you dating? □ Yes □ No-----Yes, the elders wife or other women in the cong regularly text me about complete nonsense.

LoL this made me laugh! How true

So did this!!

Pale.emperor I'm gonna take a wild guess here imagine the picture was young people sitting in a spartan living room with glasses or orange juice while one of the boys in an orange polo tshirt and chinos plays guitar for the others who are singing kingdom songs right out of the book. LoL!

• tiki
    tiki

Gag me....too many of those kids marry way too young because they can't grow up and experience normal relationships or have a life even. They belong in college or working in the real world interacting with peers and getting to develop.into normal adults. All this crap does is push them into premature marriages just so the can have a sex life....and there's more to reality than screwing. And they are so ignorant they want people to get married who have never even been alone together. That is just plain ridiculous.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit