A question to Non-US forum members.

by Spoletta 55 Replies latest social current

• sir82
    sir82

So when Republicans disrespect the POTUS, it's perfectly fine.

I'm sorry did anyone say that? Ever??? NO ONE HAS SAID THAT!

Huh.

Seems like this was a pretty positive view of Wilson's disrespect:

It's never an embarrassing display to call out that sonofabitch Obama out on his bullshit lies.
  • freemindfade
    freemindfade

I am saying no one here has actually said that's ok. But your proclamation assumes that anyone here approves of that behavior simply because they are critical of the democrats last night. Stay relevant, stay on topic

Has anyone here said its good?

• bohm
    bohm
    Freemindfade: I am saying no one here has actually said that's ok. But your proclamation assumes that anyone here approves of that behavior simply because they are critical of the democrats last night.

Can you keep that advice in mind next time the old and tired "the leftist call everyone who disagrees with them racists" cliche is dragged out?

• sir82
    sir82

But your proclamation assumes that anyone here approves of that behavior simply because they are critical of the democrats last night.

I think you may be missing my point.

My point was, it is short-sighted to criticize Democratic legislators for behavior that is comparable to what Republican legislators did a mere 8 years ago.I'd say Wilson's actions were far more childish than what the Dems did.

Frankly, for as long as I can remember, back to Reagan's SOTU addresses, the opposite party of the President sat in silence while his own members roundly cheered in speeches like this. Every. Time,

It is more than a little disingenuous to state that Democrats were "smug, childish, and embarrassing", as if it were the first time in history it ever happened, when in fact both Democrats & Republicans have been doing the exact same thing for 35+ years.

My other replies were to LRG, whose response merely served to highlight my point.

• Landy
    Landy
    A lot more people come to visit the US than US folks go abroad

Sometimes it shows. It really does.

• Hecce
    Hecce

Here's how ABC News explained what happened:

A Republican member of Congress interrupted President Obama’s speech tonight on the floor of the House of Representatives to yell “You lie!” at the president, in reference to the president’s assertion that his proposals wouldn’t provide health insurance to illegal immigrants.

The Associated Press identified the member of Congress as Rep. Joe Wilson, R-S.C. The extraordinary outburst caused the president to pause briefly, and First Lady Michelle Obama to shake her head, as the emotions that have been on display all summer at town hall meetings spilled over into the Joint Session of Congress.

Asked about the interruption by ABC News, a Republican National Committee official did not confirm the identity of the heckler, but said: “The reality is the President was not telling the truth about illegal immigrants getting access to care under the bill.”

There are now reports, that buttress Wilson, and the RNC's, claim. Today a Senate report outlined up to $750 million in ObamaCare subsidies for illegal aliens. Fox News reported:

llegal immigrants and individuals with unclear legal status wrongly benefited from up to $750 million in ObamaCare subsidies and the government is struggling to recoup the money, according to a new Senate report obtained by Fox News.

The report, produced by Republicans on the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee, examined Affordable Care Act tax credits meant to defray the cost of insurance premiums. It found that as of June 2015, “the Administration awarded approximately $750 million in tax credits on behalf of individuals who were later determined to be ineligible because they failed to verify their citizenship, status as a national, or legal presence.”

The review found the credits went to more than 500,000 people – who are illegal immigrants or whose legal status was unclear due to insufficient records.

The media, left, and even some in his own party attacked Wilson for his outburst. In the end, it turns out he was exactly right. Obama lied, about illegal immigrants gaining benefits under the then proposed law.

- See more at: https://www.conservativereview.com/commentary/2016/02/joe-wilson-right-obama-lied-on-illegals-and-healthcare#sthash.Q8N6f7Bt.dpuf

• sir82
    sir82

Leaving aside the issue of whether he was right or not....

Is it appropriate, or rather "smug, childish, and embarrassing", to yell at the POTUS while he is addressing (in effect) the nation? Would there perhaps be a better setting to raise his concerns?

Is it disingenuous to criticize Democrats for doing something in February 2017 that both Democrats & Republicans have been doing for decades?

We're straying way off topic here. Sorry for that.

• bohm
    bohm
    you all want to judge America through the eye of the MSM and celebrities. This window is extremely elite and not that big and yet they judge and entire nation on sensationalism. Race baiting, virtue flag waving, it's really getting old

*cough*

• Hecce
    Hecce

sir82

Agreed, wrong to interrupt and yell at the President; to show your opposition by not applauding is a tradition used by both parties.

And Obama was liying

• sir82
    sir82

All Presidents lie.

Some more than others.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit