How do you feel about the expression "The Truth"?

by stuckinarut2 39 Replies latest jw experiences

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

When talking to family I call the "truth" the Watchtower printing company.

The term automatically condemns the other person, if they respond using the loaded language and say no.

What Is "The Way"?

1. Jesus Christ said He is "the way" to the Father.

"Jesus said to him, 'I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me'" (John 14:6).

2. "The way" God has called us to is challenging. It is not just a hobby, but a total way of life.

"Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it" (Matthew 7:14).

3. "The Way" became a title for followers of Jesus—the name of their belief before the term "Christian" was used.

"And asked letters from him to the synagogues of Damascus, so that if he found any who were of the Way, whether men or women, he might bring them bound to Jerusalem" (Acts 9:2; see Acts 11:26 for the first reference to Christians).

The Nelson Study Bible says, "Originally, the church called themselves 'The Way.' But later they began to refer to themselves as Christians, despite the fact that the name most likely was originally used to ridicule the believers."

For me this knowledge kind of blunted my disdain for the term "the truth".

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I just hate it when I hear the JW Cult called "the truth". I have even noticed people who have never been JW's use the expression, having caught it (like a disease) from family members.

It is Loaded Language to convince the user, encouraged by those who love to control the minds of others.

It is of course, a blatant lie.

The religion and the Org were founded upon lies, and are maintained by lies.

It should only be referred to as The Deception.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

i intensely dislike the use of "we". it comes across as exclusive...in other words--excuding non-members. ask any dub a question--and they will reply " we"--not i .

• schnell
    schnell

Terminology is very important in establishing and maintaining a cult or a cult following.

Any computer programmer could point to Richard M. Stallman and the FSF and observe the same thing.

• Steel
    Steel

1. False religion

2. Faithful slave

3. Jesus and jehovah

4. Jehovah's organization

5. The truth

6. Paradise earth

Sorry number should be judicial committee

Those are my creep factor ratings for jw terms.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

It's a weird expression. Possibly only used in a court of law when swearing in a witness. Scientists talk about theories, laws and evidence. Historians talk about primary source evidence. What the heck is truth? It's a religious term. We never stop learning about reality, so what is truth? What we know now until we learn we got it wrong.

• Disassociated Lady 2
    Disassociated Lady 2

Its a form of mind control, the more they describe it as "the truth" it imprints in their minds and then they believe it. Very sneaky!! :-) x

• schnell
    schnell
    what is truth?

Hey there, Pontius, wash your mouth out after your hands. 😉

Yes, and to add to your list, mathematicians talk about proof. That's another word that JWs and Bible literalists seem to not understand. Their proof is most often circular reasoning and the logical fallacy that if someone said so then it must be true.

Truth to me is a theory that gives consistent results. I can trust that if I lean up against a giant redwood, it won't fall down. I can trust that if I ignore a mechanical problem, it will not go away. I can trust that if I have 2 of something and you give me 3 more, I will then have 5 of something. I can also trust that if the laws of physics changed at some point in the last 6000 years so as to compromise radiometric dating, then there must be very good physical and mathematical evidence of it.

Hell, I can even trust that if I am only a brain in a vat being fed a simulation of a world around me, that it doesn't matter because this might as well be the real thing. For all intents and purposes and due to consistent results, it is the real thing. If I had a cat, she could view me as a slave and have a whole mythological perception in her head about her little world, too, but I'd still be the one holding her food.

• DJS
    DJS

@DL2: "Its a form of mind control, the more they describe it as "the truth" it imprints in their minds and then they believe it. Very sneaky!!"

Ditto. It's one of the things cults do. And political parties. And football coaches. And . ..

The problem most of us seem to have is the 'they' in your excellent comments is clearly the 'we' among way too many in the ex-JW community represented on this site.

In find that deeply disturbing. So should all of us.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Its a form of mind control, the more they describe it as "the truth" it imprints in their minds and then they believe it

Concise explanation Disassociated Lady 2

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit