1 Timothy 2:11-15...Woman and silence in the congreagation

by RULES & REGULATIONS 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS

1 Timothy 2:11-15
    Let a woman learn in silence with full submissiveness. I do not permit a woman to teach, or to exercise authority over a man, but to be in silence. For Adam was formed first, then Eve. Also, Adam was not deceived, but the woman was thoroughly deceived and came to be in transgression. However, she will be kept safe through childbearing, providing they continue in faith and love and sanctification along with soundness of mind. (NWT)

A youtube video shows a young Witness boy ( 7-9 years old ) giving a ministry school talk...facing the congregation and reading some Bible scriptures.

Another youtube video shows two female Witnesses reading some Bible scriptures...they are not facing the congregation. They are facing each other.

If an elder reads some Bible scriptures from the podium, he is teaching. What is this young Witness boy and two female Witnesses doing? If the female Witnesses are not teaching, what are they doing? Why are they even allowed on stage if 1 Timothy 2:11-15( keep in silence) applies to them?

This teaching always boggled my mind!

• blownaway
    blownaway

I can remember a woman Theresa Stockwell from Kentucky who is dead now I believe, saying many years ago she was a feminist. I could not stop from biting my tongue off. I waned to yell "and you are a JW? WTF woman you are in one of the most women repressive cults in the world. "

• TD
    TD

I've never understood this

There's a helluva difference between addressing the congregation as a student and addressing the congregation as a teacher.

• mikeflood
    mikeflood

There is this Bible's quote "slaves be obedient to your masters with respect as fear.... as Christ". Of course we don't enforce that, and if the Borg wants to survive it needs to include women as MS, at least. Jesus wouldn't care, I guess. Let's say, new light, Apostle's Paul was an opinion for his time, let's change. But I doubt a change, maybe in one generation , if they're still around.

• purrpurr
    purrpurr

As the baby boomer generation dies out and the lack of men in the congregation gets worse I predict that the gb will STILL not allow women to teach, I bet they would rather centralize the meetings beaming them direct from the gb themselves than use women.

The suppression of women in the Borg has always made me furious, especially since it seems to be getting worse with the whole head scarf thing, and the whole no trousers thing. Do they not realise that it makes the women look odd and out of place?

• waton
    waton

The bible is an ancient book. prescribing ancient customs,

"--Apostle's Paul was an opinion for his time,--" mikeflood

yeah but he said in 1 Cor. 14, these (preceding words on woman) were the Lord's commandments.

Wt gives ladies a lot of airtime. " let us not forget wt comment" "We all must realize CLaM comment"etc.

Ladies should start their own FemaleJWOrg. F------Org.

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

Do they not realise that it makes the women look odd and out of place?

Of course they do, but they do not care. That is the whole point of most of what the governing body trots out concerning women as being words from the mouth of God. To make as many other people as they can look as stupid as they themselves are.

• Drearyweather
    Drearyweather

We may all speak about the suppression of women in the org, but the following aspects of the JW world is really ironical:

1. In the Unbelieving mates category, it is mostly the women who get attracted towards the Org first and then years later drag their husbands to it. You will find many unbelieving husbands than unbelieving wives..

2. Many women in the org are more than happy to be an elders wife than be on the stage giving a talk.

3. A major portion of the frontline pioneers in JW world are women.

4. In matters of shunning, usually its the mother who is the most crucial enforcer of it.

• venus
    venus

They are 'straining out a gnat but swallow a camel.' (Mathew 23:24) Paul wanted to re-establish patriarchal theocracy, hence he conveniently ignored the First Creation account in the Genesis book which says "God created mankind (original Hebrew word is Adam) as male and female in His image" which makes men and woman equal.

Second creation account is full of flaws: God is shown as correcting mistakes done in the earlier account with changing the order of creation, planting a garden and enjoying walking in it, assembling a man out of mud only to realize later that He did not make a mate as He had done in the case of all animals, and finally making woman out of a [superfluous] rib taken out of man.

Paul obviously bases his degrading teaching about woman on this second creation account filled with flaws. What best can come out of flaws?

• waton
    waton

For many tasks in a community like a jw congregation, the female is a far superior actor, accomplisher. In other domains, males excel.

Dyed in the wool males have a hard time listening to ladies, they sound like kids, they never changed their voices reaching maturity.

Supreme thinkers, feelers, that just don't sound right.

let's have the minuses.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit