I predicted a lottery number from a pattern, is the lottery NOT random or is random held to a universal force?

by EndofMysteries 25 Replies latest social current

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

True, EOM, each number has a 1/69 chance of hitting, but it's not cumulative. Each time the dice are rolled, so to speak, that individual number still has a 1/69 chance of coming up.

When you speak of a number being "over-due," that's the gambler's fallacy.

It's not like each time a number doesn't come up, the chances move up to 2/69 and then 3/69 and then 4/69, etc.

Unless the lottery is fixed, which seems like it might be a possibility. :)

I remember you now; you're the thinker. Thanks for posting a thought-provoking topic and warming up my brain cells.

Best of luck with the lotto!

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Witness 007:

"...thats how life on earth started a fluke."

No, life's beginning was not a fluke it was an evolutionary certainty. We just haven't done the math right.

• Gorbatchov
    Gorbatchov
    Here, these days the numbers are selected all by software. There was a scandal because the Greek corporation managing the software could edit the list with numbers. Can you imagine the Dutch lotery influenced by a Greek corporation? Yes it was.
  • Simon
    Simon

It's all random but our brains are evolved to see patterns even when they don't exist.

Also, people mistake clusters or patterns for non-randomness ... not the same thing.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas
    SaintBertholdt said, "...Lottery numbers are True Random Numbers..."

I'm not convinced. If they were TRUE random numbers, wouldn't it be possible to have the winning number come out as "1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1," or some other absurd result?

Such a result is not possible because when a number comes up, it is removed from the set of remaining possible winning numbers.

I think that lottery numbers are high-order pseudo-random numbers.

What sayest thou, Frere Bertholdt?

- S'ain't Justanysaint

PS - I'm not a mathematician, so you may teach me something.

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

EOM,

So, you picked those numbers right once?

You know that happens a lot actually? Lotteries tend to be won by someone who guessed the correct numbers once ;-)

Anyway, just pick them correct 20 times in a row, and you might be on to something.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit