Governing Body Members Autographing Bibles

by HereIgo 27 Replies latest jw experiences

• HereIgo
    HereIgo

Hello all,

I have an online Ex JW friend who pointed out to me that she stumbled upon a May 15, 1999 Watchtower that had pictures of Governing Body members autographing Bibles for people. I have no bound volumes or CD ROM copies anymore so I can verify. Has anyone seen this??

Two things came to mind, if this is true:

How could men sign something that they did not write or create?

Isn't this worshiping of men akin to Idolatry? These men are treated like celebs.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Lamest book signing ever!

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

...but...but...they call themselves G.O.D. Guardians of Doctrine.

These vile perverts are typical cult leaders. A pox on them I say.

Yes. That would be the picture, Sparras.

• Drearyweather
    Drearyweather

Herelgo, I feel there is a difference between autographs and signing gift books.

Many a times, when we give books to someone, we sign it as a friendly gesture. In decades past, many JW;s would sign books and gift it to other people or fellow JW's.

"To Kevin, Love from Judy, Bristol Convention, 1979"

If a fan goes to the GB and asks them to sign his book, then I would call that as an autograph.

It is not what is happening here, GB members are not autographing Bibles for "people" standing in a line with their books, as fans would do with Authors. But they are signing bibles and gifting them to public officials as a friendly gesture.

• HereIgo
    HereIgo

Drearyweather, thanks for the clarification. I wanted to verify what I was told before I ran with it. The whole autograph thing seemed a little far fetched but I wanted to make sure.

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

I think the interesting issue with the OP is the (rhetorical) question that the GB asked the R&F in the WT from last year..... let's look...

Watchtower 15 May 1999: A Historic Visit Makes an Island Rejoice

[Picture on page 8] Governing Body members sign gift Bibles for public officials

Full page scan below (Gerrit Losch, John Barr and Lloyd Barry)

Watchtower Study January 2016: "We Want to Go With You"

[Box on page 27] Love "Does Not Behave Indecently"

We can show Christian love by the way we treat those taking the lead in the congregation. At times, well-known representatives of the Christian congregation — perhaps circuit overseers, Bethelites, members of the Branch Committee, members of the Governing Body as well as their helpers — may attend a convention or theocratic event that we also attend. Naturally, we want to show such brothers and their wives due respect. None of us would want to imitate the attitude of Diotrephes. He refused to welcome the visiting brothers with respect. (3 John 9, 10) But could we, even unintentionally, show a lack of good manners by going to the opposite extreme? How might we do that?

While we appreciate having an opportunity to meet and talk with visiting brothers and their wives, we would show a lack of respect if we treated such ones as celebrities. For example, would it show good manners to take candid photos of such ones—without permission—while they are eating and engaging in other activities? Would we ask them to autograph our books and Bibles? Would we push in front of others and aggressively demand that our photo be taken with them? Surely, none of these actions display true Christian love. Rather, they could show that we have missed the purpose of the visit and the hard work that such faithful ones do in our behalf. What effect could such behavior have on those attending one of our assemblies for the first time?

Watchtower Simplified Study January 2016: "We Want to Go With You"

[Box on page 27] Love "Does Not Behave Indecently"

For example, would it show good manners if we take photos of themwithout their permission or when they are not aware of it, perhaps when they are eating or doing something else? Would we ask them to sign our books and Bibles? Would we push in front of others and insist that we have a photo taken with them?

• Listener
    Listener
    Would we ask them to autograph our books and Bibles?

According to Drearyweather, that would be okay if they were asked to sign a book and give it to them only as a gift. So under certain stipulations it would be okay.
  • Drearyweather
    Drearyweather
    According to Drearyweather, that would be okay if they were asked to sign a book and give it to them only as a gift.

And according to Listener, if a person becomes a member of the GB, he should stop signing altogether (even a grocery bill or a bank form), because whenever a GB member signs anything, he is actually giving his autograph and is thus promoting idolatry and showing his celebrity status. He should stubbornly refuse to sign anything. Because signing something and gifting it to someone is not a sign of humility.

• waton
    waton

I wish "Jesus "would have posthumously signed the gospels, verifying his supporting the Adam & Eve, Noah stories. Cleaned up my library, gave away "Mein Krampf", and they asked whether is was a signed copy. so, these can be gifts, authorisations, a product of treasure hunters.

Imagine if one could disprove wt doctrine to them from their signed copy, or argue a [heavenly] judgement case that way.

• tepidpoultry
    tepidpoultry

I've seen people create arguments by stretching a point to the ridiculous and the idea of idolatry is highly subjective and can be debated to the grave, just one question: If a celebrity signs something it increases the value of the item, so, might we expect to see some items "signed" by GB showing up on eBay? If so, wouldn't it then be safe to say that these items were "autographed"?

:0)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit