Hard to Remember but Back in the Ninteen Fifies...

by new boy 38 Replies latest jw friends

• smiddy
    smiddy

In the 1960`s they also had a test paper you had to fill out every month on what you had learned in that month in the Ministry school , that was marked on how many questions you got right by the school overseer.

The chart measured how the congregation was performing against the national average if I remember correctly.

They also had breaks between the ministry school /service meeting and also the public talk / watchtower study.

smiddy

• millie210
    millie210

The 50s are a little before my time but in the early 60s, I remember the written review was done with a pencil and you signed it and turned it in to the school conductor.

The breaks in between meetings was interesting....I remember people would go outside and have a cigarette!

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

NewBoy/OldBoy,

Are you going to have a section dealing with the announced from the platform, disfellowshipping's?

Wow. Memories. In our area, in the 1950's and early 1960's there were so many announced. At that time, any disfellowshipping, not just from your KHall, but from the surrounding area, was publicly announced. The congo over from us, had so many DF, that it traumitized me. This was the KHall that across the street from it, had a topless bar. It was usually for adultery.

• prologos
    prologos
    I remember a circuit assembly where they had the local comparison chart rigged to show the results of all the congregations, to shame the laggards, I guess. I remember well 1958 the out of the blue announcement & demonstration at Yankee stadium / Polo grounds of sisters doing mike-amplified conversations from the platform, and the questionable dearth of bible text to justify the change , while we gave 4-8 bible text sermons at the doors. and Then there was the appointed company/ congregation servant, the man that would not budge, move, become sick or die to give new blood a chance at the helm. There must have been swinger congregations like Lois Lane lfS describes, but I remember only the close to the line petting and necking in the cars. One Bethel brother who "blew it", had his doors rigged, so the sisters could not open them from the inside.
  • millie210
    millie210

How about a piano in every Kingdom Hall?

And always someone there who could play it (or pound away as the case may be)

Also the live orchestras at assemblies.

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

How about the brothers and sisters who played the piano at the KH? We had one sister who before becoming a JW had played honky tonk piano in night clubs. She always jazzed up the Kingdom songs. Loved her performance. She made JW songs almost pleasant to listen to.

Another time the sister who played the piano had to leave the meeting early for some reason. So when it came time to sing the final meeting song the brother conducting the meeting asked if someone would volunteer. So a brother volunteered. This guy had also played piano in night clubs and was very good at it. Unfortunately this evening he was plastered, but he played anyway. Another interesting performance.

When the GB eliminated live music at the KH and changed to canned music, singing at meetings was no longer fun.

• prologos
    prologos
    Among the pioneers living in the KH apartments was one that felt like expressing himself during the lunch break in free - style composing performances on the piano. He pounded out notes, cords that surpassed Wagner, Hindemith in dissonance and power. Why did the "god of order" not intervene? and how about the food prepared in Yankee stadium annexes, The truck-repair shop to keep the delivery vehicles running? the marriages performed on the meager lawns outside the stadium?
  • eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

I remember the jw's in our area referring to interested persons, bible students (ones with whom a bible study was being conducted) as "good wills" during the 50's.

just saying!

eyeuse2badub

• tiki
    tiki

People of good will

Back calls

My mom was literature servant because of the lack of men...she had to wear a hat all the time in the kh (she wore real ones..not handkerchiefs)

My father got dunked when I was 8, and was ministry school servant. I got to see how everyone did on the test...later called written review so dumb people wouldn't feel so bad about themselves. A score in the 90's was rare...

The excitement of the announcement of where the next 3 day circuit assembly was to be..we would go in Friday late aft, set up...then there was program Fri nite...sat morn service..aft and eve programming, then all day Sunday till about 5 pm.

Yeah...I remember the quota chart and the big blackboard with the monthly door to door sermon...4 scriptures, commentary to segue one to next....my parents never made me learn or do it...I got away with mag presentations till I was 14 Or 15 and got shamed into doing the big spiel because my friend who was a year younger was doing them. Damn her...

• tiki
    tiki
    Oh and don't forget the excitement at conventions of the release of a new book...and what color it would be!!! I especially loved the lime green of that Daniel book...the pale yellow of you may survive Armageddon into God's new world was nice too.....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit