If anyone claimed that god speaks to them personally.....

by jambon1 20 Replies latest jw friends

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    Well, they certainly imply it. Here's an example from 1964:

And the magazine goes to quote what someone else said about it being "the message... that Jehovah has for us."
    Of course, they made up the bullshit about some brother opening the wrapper on his magazine, but they still did not say directly that it was true, what the brother said.

My point is that this is an important topic in our quest for freedom and helping others, but we cannot even get a grip on what the accurate Watchtower teaching is on this. I mean, it's not in print, but they want you to believe that when Fred Franz died, there was even more "spirit-direction" from heaven. But say that out loud and you will be cut to shreds.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

GREAT THREAD!

I remember starting a similar thread as I was first waking up. As with all of the comments above, the very notion of "speaking for God" is one that is tilted in their favour much like the old witch-trials of the middle ages were.

Kind of like: Well we speak as "directed" by God, so you cant question anything we direct or command. If you question anything, then you are questioning God. But if we change our minds with "New Light", then it was because God changed his mind. If you doubt our "spirit direction" then you are to be punished.... and the circular reasoning persists!

• Chook
    Chook

The governing body of the sixties would think apostasy has crept into head office based on all of them claiming anointed status after 1935. Being directed by Holy Spirit is their divine appointment just like JC ,except there is no appeal committee ,to ask God if he chose Big Tony Morris on what merits.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

Around 400 B.C Greek physician Hippocrates the first to treat mental illness about the same time

the God stop speaking with humans. In the OT God spoke to hundreds, in the books

of the prophets it's every where, "and the word of the Lord came to me". So it's very strange

after treating people for mental illness (400 B.C), the numbers dropped in regards to people speaking with GOD.

This guy decided to go ice fishing so he cut a hole in the ice, he heard this loud voice "there is

NO fish under the ice". He stopped and looked around and thought "God is speaking to me".

So he moved to another spot and drilled another hole and the voice loud and clear, "there is no

fish under the ice". He stood up and lowered his head and ask, God is that you?

The voice came back," no this is the manager for this Ice skating facility.

• atomant
    atomant

The GB receiving communication from god is a conspiracy....

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

Re. the OP.

Many of the world's religions are based on people claiming that their god appeared/spoke to them. Judaism, Xianity (Paul), Islam, Mormons (Smith) and JWs (Russell) and others.

'Distance lends enchantment' - or, in other words, leave it long enough and the passage of time will blunt, obscure or forgive the obvious (to our modern minds) craziness.

Ask yourself this - if Joseph Smith or Charles Taze Russell was around today and spouting their nonsense how successful would they be?

(Yes, I know you could cite Hubbard and Scientology but there will always be some crazies off the scale).

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

DUNEDAIN:

You hit the nail on the head with regard to this fallacy that is perpetrated by the JW religion, namely that God speaks to them or communicates in some fashion. Yes, nothing but illusions like a magician's tricks.

You are also right that nobody really questions it. When I was there it never sat well with me and I let it go in one ear and out the other. At best, I thought perhaps they were able to decipher some code in the bible. They did make themselves out to have knowledge that other religions didn't have.

But, as far as anybody there past or present communicating with God? Nope, I don't buy it and I'll go so far as to say that I don't even believe anybody who flippantly makes or suggests such a claim even FEARS the true God.

So. Let the person who actually "speaks" to God there come forward. I'd love to shake their hand. Of course, they will need an impressive miracle or two to back them up.

• Luo bou to
    Luo bou to
    remember freds type antitypes the GB are a modern day collective antitype of Ballams Ass
  • The Rebel
    The Rebel

Jambon : O.P " If anyone claimed that God spoke to them personally"

"They would be viewed as completely mentally ill and laughed at"

" So, how do the G.B get away with it?

The Rebel (A) One of the baptism requirements is the making of a personal dedication to God. Were we viewed as completely mentally ill, and laughed at when we got baptized? In fact it would have been the reverse, we would have been viewed as completely mentally ill and laughed at if we claimed God hadn't personally spoken to us.

That is how the G.B get away with this noncence.

p.s I am now rolling around the floor both crying & laughing that I was so stupid.

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel

I remember hearing in a meeting (can't remember if it was a public talk or WT study) that the clarification for elders is that the holy spirit is not selecting them directly as one would imagine. Rather, an elder appointed following scriptural direction of 1 Timothy chapter 3, is considered "spirit selected" because the text itself was inspired.

I swear I am not messing with you. I was fully awake when this talk or study happened and I was paying close attention :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit