Richard Carrier - End of the World Failed Christian Prophecies

by Finkelstein 11 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

An interesting talk on the inherent history of Jewish and Christian beliefs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_pb8pKews8

• mamacita29
    mamacita29
    Nice find Finkelstein. You know the Muslims also think the end of world is coming soon once the "Mahdi" arrives. Its all an illusion since our lives are so short. Every generation thinks theirs is the last.
  • Heaven
    Heaven
    Religion sure sounds like the definition of insanity with their regurgitating of the same failed prophetic ideas over and over expecting different results.
  • Gilbeath Haaraloth
    Gilbeath Haaraloth
    I remember the good old days when Armageddon was so close you could almost taste it. Then I woke up and realized it was my dog licking my face.
  • Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    Some good stuff, I'll have to read one of his books. He talks about the Persian religion in detail but I haven't been able to find much info on this religion and what it actually taught other then speculation.
  • Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Carrier goes on to explain that ancient mythology was born out of human ignorance from one system set of beliefs to be morphed into another ie. Zoroastrianism > Judaism > Christianity > Muslimism created to appeal to distinct individualized human imaginative desires.

Most of these desires were to inherently create a semblance of self empowerment to certain wanting men by extrapolating the power and the almightiness of the god(s) of the universe unto themselves.

ie. the JWS

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

'' You know the Muslims also think the end of world is coming soon once the "Mahdi" arrives. Its all an illusion since our lives are so short. Every generation thinks theirs is the last.''

Ah, I just get stomach cramps, thinking about it.

• jhine
    jhine
    Can l add to this that the VAST MAJORITY of Christians , now or ever do not think about dates or times . lt always amazes me how hung up this forum gets about this topic but then l remember that as mostly ex JWs this was THE issue for many of you for much of your life .
    This sword of Damacles was held over your heads to ensure obedience and discourage questioning or individual thinking . For most Christians , however , this is just not an issue .
    Jan
  • Heaven
    Heaven

jhine said: ... VAST MAJORITY of Christians , now or ever do not think about dates or times .

This has not been my experience. Every Christian I've ever spoken to expects Jesus to return during their lifetime.

• Terry
    Terry

It is a tribute to Ego how Christians are the center of their own Universe.

The entire history of everything puts "today's" Christian at the climax.

"Today" is, of course, every day since day 1.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit