Richard Carrier - End of the World Failed Christian Prophecies

by Finkelstein 11 Replies latest watchtower bible

• jhine
    jhine
    Hi. Heaven , l have been giving some thought to your comment , and carried out a ( small ) straw poll amongst my Christian friends . Clearly my experience has been different to yours in regard to people who we have actually spoken to . My friends over the last couple of days have all replied basically the same thing , we don't know when the end will be and should not speculate .
    Now , equally clearly l don't know every Christian in the world and my initial statement was quite sweeping . I think that the best way l can back it up is to point to the very practical work being done all over the world to help people , especially children , to have better lives . Schools and orphanages being built to help children have better FUTURES than they might have had .
    In my own village we have a project housing homeless young people aged 16- 25 . Helping them with education and jobs so that they can have a better future life .
    Now the countless Christians worldwide working to give children and young people better lives , which could well to on after those Christians are no longer on this earth would indicate that those Christians are not putting any timescale on the " end times " .
    I know that this has come across as an advert for the church ! but l felt that this was the best way that l could explain my assertion about the VAST MAJORITY of Christians . JWs use the immanent arrival of Armageddon as a reason / excuse for not helping their fellow man and doing charitable works , most Christians would disagree .
    I should acknowledge that many atheists , agnostics are very charitably minded and do a lot of good works , l am just attempting to show why l don't believe that most of the world's Christians are hung up on dates and times .
    Jan

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    I sometimes forget that it must take a tremendous amount of diassafection with the world around them for anyone to want a global apocalypse to wipe the slate clean.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit