JW.ORG logica: I don't get it

by Gorbatchov 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Gorbatchov
    Gorbatchov

A Dutch saying is "Am I that smart or are you so stupid".

Watching this jw.org movie about God's name made me use it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJTImafdP7M

JW Broadcasting June 2015, 15 seconds cut.

Geoffrey Jackson is proud that jw.org is using God's name.

Then he convinced that jw.org does not know exactly what God's name is.

Then he convinced that jw.org uses the name Jehovah because it's most common recognized in English.

Is this reasonable, asks Geoffrey... Yes! is his own answer.

Unbelievable isn't it? You know it, when you see it, is another saying here... )):

Gorbatchov

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Just because something is popular or commonly used, does not make it the correct thing...

• steve2
    steve2

Geoffrey, Geoffrey, Geoffrey, old chap: Listen up and learn:

If you spew illogical nonsense and ask, "Is it reasonable?" and answer your own question with an emphatic, "Yes!", it still remains illogical nonsense.

• Gorbatchov
    Gorbatchov

Clear case, isn't it?

G.

• sir82
    sir82

Imagine if this same "logic" were applied to any other field, say, physics:

"We are proud to understand how gravity works!

Of course, no one really knows how gravity works.

A lot of people think that when an object falls, it's because an invisible gremlin pushes it down.

Is it reasonable to believe that? Yes!"

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

YHVH = YHWH = Ja-Veh = Ja-Weh-Veh = Jahovah = GOD

I remember in the early 70s a JW told me that if we didn't use God's name then He would not hear our prayers. "If you were out in a crowd and you saw your friend Jack, if you yelled out, 'Hey, you!' then you shouldn't be surprised when he doesn't answer you. Likewise, we call God by His name and thus we identify Him, and thus He knows when we call out to Him."

But there's a big difference between pronunciations. Shouldn't we get as close to His name as possible? For someone who's omniscient, wouldn't He know when we're addressing Him? There also doesn't seem to ever being a time when His people called him by name. In fact, wasn't it punishable by death? Abraham didn't do it. Moses didn't do it. Peter, James and John didn't. So why should we? Even if we call out to our friend, "Hey, John!" -- it might be John, Juan, Jacque or Jack. If it's important to call HIM by name, we should get the name right, or as close to the Hebrew as we can get.

But seeing that Jehovah was actually Jesus just adds more confusion.

• Earnest
    Earnest

Cold Steel : Even if we call out to our friend, "Hey, John!" -- it might be John, Juan, Jacque or Jack. If it's important to call [God] by name, we should get the name right, or as close to the Hebrew as we can get.

Why? Why not use the version commonly understood in our language, as you would with John, Juan, Jacque or Jack?

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

Cold Steel, the JW logic behind the use of God's name reveals their pantheistic view of the world.

Generally, most Christian religions believe in only one God so there is no "crowd" of gods for him to get confused as to which god is being called upon.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Geoffrey Jackson is the king of borg doublespeak.

I can't stand the smarmy toad.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

As a personal observation, I nowadays think that JW's are somewhat presumptuous in the chummy way they use God's name all the time. It is as though they have him here as their best mate ( buddy if you prefer) .

Should the sovreign of the universe be casually addressed as if you were two guys having a beer?

By all means respectfully use the name, but do so with reverance and awe as you worship him.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit