Who has made an unforgivable sin against the holy spirit?

by atomant 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• talesin
    talesin

smiddy, I don't remember it either. Here's the current teaching ... I went to the site (sry, just threw up a little in my mouth)

... However, a person can become so set in following a sinful course that he will never change his attitude or conduct. The Bible describes such a person as having “a wicked heart” that has “become hardened by the deceptive power of sin.” (Hebrews 3:12, 13) Like clay that has been fired in a kiln and that can never be reshaped, the person’s heart has become permanently opposed to God. (Isaiah 45:9) There could never be a basis for such a person to be forgiven, so he is guilty of the unforgivable, or unpardonable, sin.—Hebrews 10:26, 27.
    Some Jewish religious leaders in Jesus’ day committed the unforgivable sin. They knew that God’s holy spirit was the force behind Jesus’ miracles, yet they maliciously said that he got his power from Satan the Devil.—Mark 3:22, 28-30.
  • talesin
    talesin

Found it, in WT, but it's 2007, so you and I were long gone (unless it's a rewrite) That was weird, ugh.

w07 7/15 p. 17

2 Yes, it is possible to sin against Jehovah’s holy spirit. “Every sort of sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men,” said Jesus Christ, “but the blasphemy against the spirit will not be forgiven.” (Matthew 12:31) We are warned: “If we practice sin willfully after having received the accurate knowledge of the truth, there is no longer any sacrifice for sins left, but there is a certain fearful expectation of judgment.” (Hebrews 10:26, 27) And the apostle John wrote: “There is a sin that does incur death.” (1 John 5:16) But is it left to the one who has sinned seriously to determine whether he has committed “a sin that does incur death”?
    9. What is blasphemy, and what did Jesus say about it?
    9 Blasphemy is defamatory, injurious, or abusive speech. Since the holy spirit has God as its Source, saying things against his spirit is the same as speaking against Jehovah. Unrepentantly resorting to speech of that kind is unforgivable. Jesus’ words about such sin show that Jesus is referring to those who willfully oppose the operation of God’s holy spirit. Because Jehovah’s spirit was at work in Jesus but his opposers ascribed this power to the Devil, they sinfully blasphemed against the spirit. Hence, Jesus declared: “Whoever blasphemes against the holy spirit has no forgiveness forever, but is guilty of everlasting sin.”—Mark 3:20-29.
  • Half banana
    Half banana

What a good wheeze to say that you can never be forgiven if you sin against the holy spirit?

The cult leaders can apply this to anything to put fear in their followers. The hope of paradise and the fear of disobedience; walk the spritual tightrope which the cult supplies free of charge and you daren't look down or anywhere else.

I'm waiting for the word that "disloyalty" to the GB is a sin against the holy spirit.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

So Peter denied Christ just to save his backside and was forgiven! Yes, forgiven for denying Christ!

Surley if the concept of an unforgivable sin was real, then Peter did it?!

• tiki
    tiki
    According to Dubland anyone who didn't go to the occasion the other night sinned against the holy spirit.....there are hordes of us anxiously awaiting our violent death and vultures picking our bones ..... There's going to be one helluva lot of bird poop stacked up on the ground....but good fertilizer for paradise plantings.
  • punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Put garlic powder on bread and see what happens!
  • sowhatnow
    sowhatnow
    ask Mr Owl....
  • OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Sin is a term invented by religion so that the religion may offer the cure.

But to me, unforgivable evil is deliberate abuse of another human being, especially children.
    Deliberate abuse of animals is also right up there.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard
    Whether it went through or not, I made two separate official attempts to sin against the butt-holy spirit. Deliberately and formally renouncing the butt-holy spirit in front of Satan, whether it goes through or not, is the sin against the "holy spirit". I recommend it only for those who are 100% certain that Christi-SCAM-ity is a lie, that Jesus is false (and that even if it were true, it would be nothing but scum), and who is certain Islam is also bogus.
  • cantleave
    cantleave
    A radio DJ fading out the guitar outro on Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb......there is a place in hell for him.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit