She displayed a literature cart in front of my house: That does it for me!

by Tempest in a Teacup 53 Replies latest jw friends

• Tempest in a Teacup
    Tempest in a Teacup

UPDATE:

I had a talk with her. It was a cyclical discussion. I told her that she can't put the publications in front of the house because I feel ill at ease when she does so. She asked me why I 'd feel that way. I said that I just didn't like the idea of a table full of wt publications in front of my house, and that she was free to display it wherever she wanted in town but not in front of my house.

Being the manipulation queen that she is, she kept asking and re-asking "but why not?"and I kept repeating the same answer. At a point in time she said that she was "going to think about it ".

Knowing her, I know she's only going to put together facts to try to convince me.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

Tempest: "culture that puts family, especially the mama on a pedestal", the family patriarch.

My elder brothers and sister (not JW's) are respected and looked up as the family patriarch

by JW' family members also, since my mom and dad has passed. I'm fourth in line so it will

end with me or bypass me to my younger JW brother...

But I understand the culture.....I'm so happy my mom didn't become a JW!!

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath
    teacup---move out.
  • Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

Tempest,

Well done! Keep your cool while talking with her.

And whatever she says, keep returning to 'it makes me feel uneasy'.

If she asks why, you can return the question by asking: "do you respect my feelings, or not?"

If she does, ask her to act accordingly.

If she doesn't, ask her if that is according to the Golden rule...

It's not mandatory to explain our reasons for every request or demand we make. Not even to our mom. Sometimes people just have to accept our statement and act on it.

• Tempest in a Teacup
    Tempest in a Teacup

Oh, she came back saying that more and more elderly sisters are using that method to preach and she went on to give me a few instance of people who are doing it. I told her that I didn't care.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

At a point in time she said that she was "going to think about it ".

You can`t trust Fanatical JW`s..

Especially JW Parents..

..............I`ll Find a Way..

.......TO GET WHAT I WANT..

....Image result for stubborn mother

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

Good grief, she doesn't even see you. She doesn't care what you think. It's all about her. "No" is a complete sentence. You don't need more than that. You don't have to explain yourself and take down every notion she comes up with as to why this should be acceptable. She has to learn to respect you, or she has to take her cart and walk her happy azz down to a brother and sister's house who will take her in. After all, they're her closest family, as would be evidenced by any judicial action against you.

JW reasoning doesn't matter here.  You don't want it.  End of story.  She's still trying to reason with you as though JW's are the ultimate authority and they say it is okay.  They aren't that authority for you.  She can't get that.

I'm sorry you're dealing with a person that at least exhibits these narcissistic behaviors. I grew up with two. It sucked.

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen
    JW reasoning doesn't matter here. You don't want it. End of story.

Yes. This.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Teacup, hasn't your mother been paying attention at the meetings, looking at the pictures, and watching the videos (well, I'm thinking of the one coming out at the RC)? JWs are soon to have to start hiding in basements and fear for their lives! If all the neighbors know that she's a JW, they'll head straight over with torches and pitchforks to murder you both and burn the house down with her cart and WT litteratrash inside! Supposedly, Jerkhovah will only protect the organization, he will NOT protect individuals who face the consequences of their own foolish actions after they've been warned of the dangers facing dubs... very soon now.

If she feels the need to preach, she needs to be much more cautious and preach where people won't recognize her and follow her home to kill her during the tribulation. Or doesn't she believe that armageddon is coming and JWs will face attack by Satan and the worldlings?

• Spiral
    Spiral

Hi Tempest, my mom is also a "bored never did anything in her adult life but service kind of person", but in her 80s. There is no logical reasoning with them, trust me I've tried on many levels.

The only thing that worked when I faced some issues with my mom was to say "I won't live like that or do that. If you want my help that can't happen." I'll spare everyone the details but it did work. She's asked about going in service in the neighborhood and I always say no, not safe and not a good idea. (It really isn't.)

My mom would go door to door in her old neighborhood and got sprayed with a hose once. I have no doubt that neighbor was just exasperated. She thought it was persecution, of course. But I have learned you just have to be blunt and consistent. Nothing else works.

I am a professional as well and shared your concerns about how this would be viewed by the neighbors.

I have noticed a lot of the older ones here have various forms of dementia, hard question to ask but could that be part of what is going on here? I do know the elders here would not approve of using a cart in that fashion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit