JW news release and deception - The "High-Profile Case" in Russia

by jwleaks 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jwleaks
    jwleaks

I found this interesting bit of news release propaganda by the JWs on their website dated April 5, 2017.

"Russia's Supreme Court Begins High-Profile Case Against Jehovah's Witnesses"

https://www.jw.org/en/news/releases/by-region/russia/supreme-court-begins-case-against-jehovahs-witnesses/

My interest was piqued by the JW claim that the court hearing is a "High-Profile Case". This claim is being bolstered with the support of the following picture (note this is a page screenshot):

The use of the above impressive image has the propensity to create in the mind of JWs the importance of their case and the "high-profile" nature of their case. Notice that the JW news release clearly states "Russia's Supreme Court Begins..." The use of the word begins denotes that the case has commenced at the time of the news release. The use of the above image, and the linking of it directly to the JWs court case is clear deception as the image is not from the actual court hearing. The image is being used falsely to misrepresent the facts.

The JW news release, in the first paragraph states:

NEW YORK—Today, the Supreme Court of the Russian Federation began consideration of a claim from the Ministry of Justice to liquidate the Administrative Center of Jehovah’s Witnesses in Russia. The Court announced a recess, and the hearing will resume Thursday, April 6, 2017, at 2:00 p.m.

A powerful opening statement in the above JW news release linked to a completely false and misleading image.

The below image is taken from the actual courtroom being used for the case hearing. As can be clearly seen the image that the governing body of Jehovah's Witnesses is portraying of a "high-profile case" is entirely false and misleading.

Did the governing body of Jehovah's Witnesses really believe their court case was so important that they would have it heard in such high-profile setting as depicted in their news release? Evidently the Russian Supreme Court did not feel the same way.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

Oh wow. That is a very misleading use of imagery. The first image certainly gives the viewer the impression that the court is being held in a far more pompous place than the second shows.

Apparently, it isn't just the interior shots that have been stages/rigged. It appears like the numbers of Russian JWs, that were reported as showing up in support on the first day of the hearing, have been exposed as being the result of trickery and deception.

The Moscow Times reports on the "phony JWs" but they attribute it to an attempt by the State TV to present this sect as more scary than it is. Strangely, the jw media reports the large gathering as a peaceful sign that they are not 'extremist'.

I have my own thoughts as to what happened in front of the Supreme Court in Moscow that day, and why so many people were tricked, and by whom...this is from the article and it makes me to wonder who set the fake JWs up:

https://themoscowtimes.com/articles/russian-students-framed-as-jehovahs-witnesses-in-field-trip-to-crowd-courtroom-57684

Russia’s Phony Jehovah’s Witnesses

How state television framed a bunch of university students to make this Christian group seem extra scary.

When Jehovah's Witnesses arrived at the Russian Supreme Court on Wednesday morning, crowds lined the streets. Dozens of people waited in the cold for hours, hoping for a chance to get into the courtroom. State television described the crowds as supporters of the Jehovah's Witnesses, and one outlet claimed the group often targeted Russia's youth as potential converts.
    But the crowd hadn't come to fight for Russia's religious freedom. Most of the people lined up were students from Moscow State Linguistic University, and they'd been promised a field trip, where they expected to learn about the Russian court system, sitting in on a real trial.
    Students Kira and Alina (not their real names) said they were looking forward to being inside the court. “When else would I get an opportunity to see justice in action?” Kira told The Moscow Times.
    Both women had been invited a few days earlier, when a man they'd never seen before interrupted a lecture to invite students to the trial.
    The man said he needed 30 people from the department to show up outside the Supreme Court, early in the morning. He warned students to dress “nicely,” not to take pictures in court, not to post anything on social networks, and not to talk to the press.
    “It sounded a bit bizarre,” admitted Ruslan (not his real name), another student who agreed to attend the hearing.
    “In the end, we figured that it would normal, for this kind of thing,” Alina explained.
    The JW spokesmen said they didn't know why so many students showed up. He knew nothing:
    The students arrived at the courthouse early the next morning, only to find themselves waiting in line with dozens of students from other departments, as well as some older visitors. They'd been told to arrive at 8:00 a.m., though the hearing didn't start until 10:00 a.m.
    “We were baffled,” Kira said.
    Tempers frayed when the crowd was told that the courtroom was already full, before the hearing even started.
    “One of our professors went with us. He was appalled, too. He didn't know it would turn out the way it did,” Kira said. Cold and disappointed, the students left and went on with their day, only to discover later in the afternoon that they'd actually made headlines.
    The state-run news agency RIA Novosti described the students as “a huge line of Jehovah's Witnesses.”
    The television network NTV ran a similar story, as did Channel 5, even including close-ups of the students' faces.
    None of the journalists had talked to them in person, the students said.
    Instructed not to give interviews, they had ignored questions from Russia's state-funded Channel 5. “[The correspondents] were asking us whether we would comment,” Alina told The Moscow Times. “We kept silent and just turned away.”
    “I saw my face in a close-up shot on Channel 5,” said Eldar (not his real name), an Azeri student who also went to the court. “I felt so much rage — being called something I am not!”

The JW spokesperson claimed no knowledge of who the students were or why they were there:

An official spokesperson for the Jehovah's Witnesses also confirmed that a large number of those waiting outside the Supreme Court had not been members of their organization.
    Yaroslav Sivulsky, a spokesperson for Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia, said the crowd size had surprised him. “Some of our supporters were outside, but of course the whole crowd couldn't come in. The courtroom was full,” he said. “We didn't know who they were, but later someone told me that they had come from a university.”
    The incident left many of the students confused and angry.
    “It still isn't clear why someone needed to gather us in front of the court,” Ivan said. “The dean of our faculty is surprised and appalled. He told me that the university rector asked him to send students to the court for educational purposes.”
    Ivan also stressed that Moscow State Linguistic University has never been involved in politics, explaining that students have never been forced to attend patriotic or pro-Kremlin events, and — unlike many other universities across the country — no faculty reprimanded students for attending anti-corruption rallies on March 26.
    The university's students have their own theories about why they were sent to the courthouse. “Maybe they wanted us to occupy seats in the courtroom in order [to stop] actual supporters from getting in,” Alina suggested.

“Maybe they wanted us to occupy seats in the courtroom in order [to stop] actual supporters from getting in,”.....

Maybe.

Or maybe not.

If this did indeed happen, that university students and others, were tricked into attending the court hearing, those photos that the JW media releases stories have included, showing "so many Russian JWs" showing up in support outside the Moscow courthouse, lining up early, peacefully assembling, quietly....are also misleading.

• steve2
    steve2

Meanwhile, not even a skerrick of a whisper on JW.org about either the Australian Royal Commission of Inquiry into Jehovah's Witnesses' response to allegations of child sexual abuse or its damning report.

I wonder why?

• jwleaks
    jwleaks

The below screenshot is from Watch Tower's official description of the first day of the trial. It has been translated from Russian into English. Interstingly, tbe JWs have claimed that "a little less than 250 people were left on the street waiting for the results of the hearing." Doesn't seem to be any uni students in that claim. The official JW hearing summary leads one to believe that Watch Tower and the JWs were expecting a result on the first day back on April 5. They were mistaken. Today is April 20 in Moscow and the case is still going on. I wonder if the journalists, representatives of international organizations, and foreign embassies are still attending?

• doubtfull1799
    doubtfull1799

That image is actually from 2006

• jwleaks
    jwleaks

Thanks doubtfull1799 for the photo identification. A large full size of the photo also appears at this address:

https://assetsnffrgf-a.akamaihd.net/assets/m/702017110/univ/art/702017110_univ_lsr_xl.jpg

Below is a cropped section of the photo clearly showing Russian President Vladimir Putin.

What on earth was Watch Tower and the JWs thinking in depicting President Putin as personally presiding over the first day of the Russian Supreme Court case into the banning of Jehovah's Witnesses.

First the governing body of Jehovah's Witnesses launch a worldwide campaign among followers of the church to bombard President Putin, with potentially millions of letters, to try and stop the hearing before the Russian Supreme Court. When that fails they then publish an 'official' image falsely depicting President Putin as personally presiding over the Supreme Court case.

Talk about incompetence.

• smiddy
    smiddy

For anybody who thinks the Governing Body are genuinely misguided or delusional to the point that they truly are directed /guided by Jehovahs Holy Spirit

This should be a wake up call

This type of deception is not the first and it certainly wont be the last highlights the Governing body know exactly what they are doing and that is to mislead the rank & file into believing they have the truth alone and that Jehovah God is blessing their efforts .

When in fact they are fully aware that no such reality exists .

The Governing Body use lies and deception to pull the wool over the eyes of all those under their influence.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

That courtroom looked about the size of a KH. I will say this-it was much better attended than any hall I have ever seen outside of the memorial or the occasional wedding or funeral.

• jwleaks
    jwleaks

Here is a link to a post I started about the March 2017 Jehovah's Witnesses worldwide letter writing to President Putin and other senior Russian officials.

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/6225622600777728/governing-body-jehovahs-witnesses-launches-worldwide-campaign-againt-russia

• jwleaks
    jwleaks

Just in case anyone missed it, in the real picture of the court hearing, centre left in the seats, the bald headed obese man with the double-neck is none other than governing body member of Jehovah's Witnesses, the supreme spiritual JW Russian leader, Mark Sanderson. The photo below of Sanderson was also taken inside the Russian court room.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit