How Long Did It Take To Finally Leave The Organization Once You Realized It Was Really Not The Truth?

by minimus 37 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

It actually took me a few years to finally leave the Organization so I was mentally out for a while before I simply stopped all meetings altogether.

How long did it take you to finally make the break??

• blondie
    blondie

I left the same day and never went back. Right in the middle of the first day of a circuit assembly.

No meetings, assemblies, conventions, memorials, weddings, receptions, funerals, visitation, special events, etc.

I have never regretted it. That was 20 years ago.

• LV101
    LV101

I wasn't certain it wasn't the "truth," nor did I care any longer just not returning. If it was God's chosen religion I wanted nothing to do with it.

• minimus
    minimus

Blondie once u realized it was bogus u were done!

• iwantoutnow
    iwantoutnow

It's hard to pin down exactly when I totally gave up on the WT, but I would say 3 years from around that time till my last meeting.

But it was probably about 4 years of it in the making.

Going from not being able to reconcile science and the bible (like the flood) to not seeing how masterbation, oral and anal sex, or premarital sex could in anyway be looked down on by god.

Then not seeing how god could care about who loved who (homosexuality), since 10% of all life exhibits bi or homosexual activity.

To the realisation (this came early) that there was NO holy spirit acting on anyone, or any intervention at all.

To how can god care about zombies, vampires, pokemon, harry potter, (all fake things) and how they could be harmful to people who love god?

To the GB keep changing their tune, and often going back and forth on the same issue.

To having my mind blow of scriptures I read a million times that show that the god of the bible is much more evil than "satan" OMG the horrible death and destruction he loves!

Then the realization that I wasted about 47 years of my life :(

That kinda sums it up.

• rickroll
    rickroll

For me an most all those I know it was a processes. There is no waking up one day and saying its fake. It takes a lot of research to find its history. That was pre internet. Now its easier and faster to do so.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

I came to the conclusion that it wasnt 100% as much as 10 years before I left. I used to say "It's the closest thing to the truth there is" (cringe) - but that all changed after I discovered the UN letter and read Crises Of Conscience.

But, as we all know, even when we discover it isnt true it's not very easy to leave without your life being turned upside down. I played along for about 6 months trying to fade out until I was reported for "apostate ideas".

• fulano
    fulano

About a year. Working at Patterson. I saw the hypocrisy. I did not show up anymore on my department and within two weeks I was back to my home-country. No money after so many years abroad. Gave up my privilege as an elder and stopped attending everything. My wife went on attending though.

19 Years ago.

• minimus
    minimus

Fulano is ur wife still a JW?

• fulano
    fulano

We divorced in 2004. At that time she attended the meetings and was active. Since that moment I have never seen her again..So I dont know.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit