Singing todays WT

by road to nowhere 41 Replies latest watchtower bible

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

The jist was that we all should sing. Then the first 6 or 8 paragraphs describe how early Bible accounts have trained and set aside musicians to do the singing while everyone else listened.

The songs they have put out have no soul, rhythm, or soothing melodies as a whole. The old hymns are some real music, even if you don't agree with the "teachings".

There is no admission of poetry using archaic language at times for affect or to add to the rhyme, they have to have everything agree with the grey Bible.

Anyone speak foreign languages? How butchered are some of the translations? I figure they have to be to make the ideaology fit and to fit the verses.

• krismalone
    krismalone

Why is it I'm not surprised that they failed to mention that J.F. Rutherford banned singing at meetings? Only after he died did singing return. The JW's just obeyed as they were told. Just a little extra evidence that JW's are in a cult and blindly follow whatever they are told by the leadership regardless if it's based on the bible or not.

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/261165/rutherford-banned-singing-meetings-1938-knorr-reintroduced-1944

• stillin
    stillin

There are several "singers" at the hall where I go who are truly, severely, tone deaf. They should be asked NOT to sing because it is distracting and their singing ruins the collective harmony.

• kairos
    kairos

When I attended, there was a lady that sang very loud and very badly.
    We're talking, never in tune, with long, over-held notes that had a 'vibrato' that sounded like an injured animal, sometimes rising uncontrollably in pitch.
    Imagine the worst singing you've ever heard, but worse.

It started to get out of hand when half the congregation was trying not to laugh during the songs. I can clearly remember opening or closing a meeting and ABSOLUTELY not making eye contact with certain ones when she was there ( which was always ).
    Once you started laughing, you'd run the risk of laughing out loud during your own public prayer, which was soon to follow...

Don't miss any of it.

• compound complex
  • WTWizard
    WTWizard

Obviously, they want everyone singing to extol their own damnation. The lyrics are designed to that end, and the notes are designed so that, properly sung, would send a vibration to the astral to enslave the whole world and damn the souls of everyone present. Is that why no one wants to sing? Of course, it sounds lousy when anyone does manage to sing it as written.

You want real singing? Try listening to some of the classic Christmas songs. Most people can sing those quite nicely, and it is not necessary to be perfect to render an enjoyable singing. Also, many of the songs from the 1950s, 1960s, and 1970s are easy to sing along to--or even modify to put your own touch on. Or, get a copy of Michael Jackson's Off The Wall, Thriller, and/or Bad and see how many of the songs on those masterpiece albums you can learn to sing along with, without having a washtowel study article wasting 45 minutes of your life instructing you on how to do so.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Thanks CoCo it doesn`t play here in OZ however i`ve seen the movie.And some of the KM sung at KH`s sounded just as bad where I attended .

Cringeworthy stuff

• compound complex
    compound complex

Yes, smiddy -- cringeworthy!

• MrRoboto
    MrRoboto

glad i missed it (or rather, i didnt miss a thing)

anyone notice that some songs dont seem to be appropriate for the "earthly" class i mean, were all the JWs bought for a price? if only the "annointed" then why is everyone singing about how they were bought?

theres a few like this that i noticed.

i just adlib the songs cuz i cant sing that trash they have in the book, its nonsense. noone has noticed so far, apparently.

• freddo
    freddo

Any interesting comments heard at your hall on para.17?

WT P.17 SIMPLIFIED

Why? Because before, when a person sang the words of this song, he was telling others what to do. This could be awkward for new ones, interested ones, young ones, and sisters who are at our meetings, assemblies, and conventions. So the title and the lyrics were changed.

WT P.17 STANDARD

Why? In the audience at our meetings, assemblies, and conventions are many new ones, interested ones, young ones, and sisters who by singing the words would be put in the awkward position of telling others what to do. So the title and the lyrics were modified.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit