The Characterization of most Jehovah's Witnesses

by Mr.Finkelstein 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Mr.Finkelstein
    Mr.Finkelstein

After years of being with JWS you start to see a certain developmental characterization of most JWS, particularly from elders who have the most power in each congregation.

The ideology follows along the route of holding up a white sheet over the entire organization, as well each identified individual member (Brothers and Sisters) which no doubt most JWS will inevitably exploit toward themselves.

I personally recognized what hypocrisy was at young age from seeing and being around JWS at the Kingdom Halls and what they were like away from the Halls.

There is forced pretentiousness at play which comes out by JWS.

Having being reminded repetitively that god almighty sent his only begotten son to redeem their sins probably had some relevant connection.

There was no question to the fact that JWS are associated with delusions, anxiety, fear, ignorance, subsided with prejudice against others who are not recognized as being active JWS .

We are the most righteous chosen ones as it were and that self recognizance goes deep into the JWS's consciousness in their daily living.

• Tameria2001
    Tameria2001

Something I noticed when I was a JW was the attitude they have towards others, especially towards others who were their fellow members. They will stick a knife and twist it in someone else's back if it benefits them.

It was only recently that I finally discovered who was telling a vicious and slanderous lie about my husband and myself. I knew this was going around but I just could never figure out who was responsible for it. It was only a couple weeks ago that I finally was able to find the source, and that person has since passed away. This person was like a father to my husband, or at least we thought he was (he was also an elder). This lie that he was telling any who would listen was started a few years before we had even left the Watchtower. He was the reason why even before we left that our own JW family members cut us out of their lives.

• Overrated
    Overrated

I find the more spiritual the person is the more of an ass they are. They will smile at you and pad you on the back and with the other hand stab you in the back. I'm better without these assholes in my life.

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

power corrupts

absolute power corrupts absolutely

TTWSYF

• Mr.Finkelstein
    Mr.Finkelstein

There is a problematic psychological disposition that is aptly called "being judgmental." It is getting a kick out of making negative moral assessments of other people. It's enhancing your own sense of moral worth by comparisons with the (supposed) lesser moral status of others. It's finding satisfaction in seeing others fail because it shows you are better than they are. People who tend to feel morally inferior feel relief when they see others fail; by comparison that they are not so bad after all. People who lack appreciation of their own potential for moral failure enjoy having their false sense of moral superiority reinforced. Those who are judgmental are invested in one-up-manship.

What are the signs of being judgmental? Here are five:

• Making a lot of negative moral evaluations of others.
    • Having a moral rating system that is skewed in your own favor.
    • Jumping to negative moral conclusions about others; being inclined to believe the worst.
    • Moving very quickly from judgments of the form, "This action is morally wrong," to ones of the form, "This person is morally corrupt." (See Don't Be Judgmental, Be Discerning.)
    • Acting as if you can know that what so-and-so did was wrong even though you know much less about the context of so-and-so's action than so-and-so.

Being judgmental distorts our perception of other people, of ourselves and of what matters most in living a well-lived human life. It feeds on and engenders a lack of sympathetic understanding of others. It is often linked with other related character flaws: hypocrisy, self-righteousness, malice, insensitivity, and the enjoyment of destructive gossip.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

A letter that I sent to my very PIMI mother-in-law a few years back.

"Sometimes during my daily morning musings, I think about things that I have often wondered about but not taken the time to really examine. I know that not everyone sees things through my eyes, (and that’s a real good thing) but I sometimes wonder if I’m the only one that’s noticed that we jw’s, from the top down, seem to have an “air” about us, a sort of quiet yet subtle but smug arrogance toward those who are not jw’s.

I long ago realized that if any religion’s “truth" was based on supposition or interpretation then it wasn't worth getting into an argument or debate about and certainly not worth dying over. We jw’s have historically been very ‘hung up’ on doctrinal interpretations that have set us apart.

Did Jesus die on a cross or a stake? Are Jesus & Michael one and the same? Will the people of Sodom & Gomorrah be resurrected? Who is the King of the North or King of the South? IMHO, the wt organization uses such unprovable topics to convince the faithful that their leadership provides greater Bible insights than the rest of Christendom; therefore, this PROVES that we, jw’s, have the truth and ‘they’, other religions, don’t.

But to be fair and balanced, I know that jw’s have not 'cornered the market' on smugness and arrogance. It seems to me that all fundamentalist religions believe that they have the 'truth' and, as a result, have the same subtle smug attitude.

I wonder if it comes from being told repeatedly how "special and unique" we are, that we are the “happiest people on earth”, that we, and we alone, have been “chosen by god”? Is that why we sort of ‘look down’ on ordinary, normal members of our community because they are not jw’s? Is that why we label them with the unflattering label--- “worldly”?

To me, it seems that any form of ‘love’ or concern that we show to non jw’s in our community is conditional------ as long as they will listen when we preach to them...otherwise we don’t have the time for them and we sort of view them of little value...after all, they’re going to be destroyed during the big “A”, right?

A large portion of the information that most jw’s have come to believe about the “world” is what we are told at the meetings and through wt publications. We are told about the way the “world” is, thinks, behaves, etc. The ‘having to believe’ everything we hear at the meetings gives many jw’s the idea that we know more about non jw’s (aka worldly people) than these non jw’s know about themselves, and because we then believe we know more, do we then quietly and unknowingly take on a smug arrogance?

This air of quiet ‘smug arrogance’ is also, in a lesser way, demonstrated by some within even within the congregation. If you are not pioneering, not a MS, not an elder / elder's wife, not a Bethelite, not putting in at least 10 hours in field service, etc. then you are sometimes viewed as sort of weak in the eyes of some jw’s.

As a jw, all you have to do is listen to gb members like Anthony Morris. There doesn’t seem to be a humble bone in his body. The zone meeting a year and a half ago he talked about 23 year old men who are not MS's. He stated that these men are not good marriage material for “theocratic” sisters!

Ever since I have personally relinquished all of my "badges" and "stripes", otherwise known as "theocratic privileges" as an “appointed man” it is very easy to see who I really am. I’m just a pile of dust and no better than others. I have no intention to influence or drag anyone away from their faith, i.e. what they truly believe of their own free will. Choosing a life course should be an informed choice and not something that one inherits from their parents. I know now that real ‘truth’ fears no inquiry and if we cannot openly question what we’ve been taught to believe, why?"

just saying!

• LV101
    LV101

The "being judgmental" seems to be popular among humanoids in general.

I agree - JWs are 'on stage' when around the A Team of JWs. They will do whatever is beneficial to their associate JWs. It was 'splained to me they don't think twice since all their bros have to forgive them. From what I've heard this is a serious issue in religious circles - CPAs, attorneys, judges, you name it - they all have more than a few stories of clients/cases being bamboozled by other believers. Guard is down and folks want to help - especially those that are related in their faith.

• shadow
    shadow
    this thread seems to be very judgmental of JW's
  • joe134cd
    joe134cd

Not ok to salute the flag, but ok to hang it on KH buildings.

The Internet was an unnecessary distraction from kingdom interests, to now, #best life ever.

• Mr.Finkelstein
    Mr.Finkelstein

I think when you are fully immersed in the JWS religion you are being indoctrinated to be arrogant and self righteous, that in itself creates problems.

Oh the uniqueness of being in god's chosen organization.

umm umm umm good , that's good brain washing

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit