Gofundme account opened for funeral costs

by Amelia Ashton 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon

c'mon peeps - both sides have a point here but let's not fall out over it.

Funerals can be expensive, a sudden and tragic death means it will be an unplanned expense and people have other concerns and lightening the load is "a nice thing". It's not being forced on anyone, just making people aware of it.

Generally, I agree that public requests for money can be overdone and can sometimes be fraudulent but in this case it seems people know those involved so no harm, no foul.

What exactly is wrong with a simple immediate cremation, and no fancy coffin, or a fancy headstone and grave?

I want to be put into the cheapest cardboard box available (we used to fund them round the back of Kwik-Save to slide down the hill near the railway bridges) and I can be burnt, buried, thrown in a skip, left in a ditch ... I don't care. I don't want money wasted on what is opportunism by the funeral industry (just like the wedding industry, taking advantage of people and making them feel that if they don't spend, they don't care).

• jhine
    jhine

Nat , l lost my 25yr old son to cancer several years ago , so l speak from experience . His Dad and l assumed a cremation but his sister and fiance got VERY upset . His sister actually said " You can't burn Neil " As people have said grief makes us act in odd ways . l learnt later that for some reason not really apparent to anyone when a young person dies they are more likely to be buried , somehow it just seems more appropriate .

l really hope that you don't have to learn this first hand , but as you haven't l put my voice with Cofty 's.

Jan

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I happen to have excess funds these days since I'm no longer contributing to WTS. This is indeed the kind of "cause" that I would be glad to assist.

Nathan -- all you have to do is click that box with the little "X" in it if you don't like what is being said. You do NOT have to be as ass about it.

• Dagney
    Dagney

Handing a family money at a funeral if one can/chooses to, is normal and has been for decades if not centuries. Technology makes it easier for more friends to know about it and choose to contribute if they want. It's a personal decision anyway.

I'll probably donate my body to science so nobody has to deal with it.

Having been aware recently of two situations of necessity, my observation is most people like to help out where there is a need, even if it is a small amount. It feels good.

• stillin
    stillin

I guess it's just the dinosaur in me, but "go fund me" is simply not in my repertoire yet. I prefer to hand somebody some cash if my heart is moved to do so. My heart IS moved, Amelia, and if I knew that I could safely help out, I would.

Just put me in the "thoughts and prayers" crowd. Sorry.

• steve2
    steve2

Perhaps Nathan didn't help by his blunt comments and he could have spoken more kindly, but I agree with the substance of what he wrote in his first post on this thread.

• Acluetofindtheuser
    Acluetofindtheuser

In some situations it's appropriate to stick to the saying, "If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all".

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I hope Jon and Sharon see this thread, so they can explain why they are unable to provide for their own family and HOW they figure that "it takes a village" to provide for their kids.

I didn't speak unkindly - I spoke HONESTLY. The Dub mentality that runs from debate resorted to unkind words because they cannot explain how this sad event becomes MY problem.

So to all you sweetheart maggots out there, "Kiss, kiss, geniuses!"

Back in the good old days, there was shame properly associated with begging. Today we call this begging "crowdsourcing." Instead of sitting on the curb with a battered tin cup or brass begging-bowl in their grasp, beggars set up "crowdsourcing" pages. The Crowdsourcing companies make a nice living and employment for techno-nerds increases. Or did you REALLY BELIEVE that GoFundMe was a charity, you naif?

Where once people would seek a LOAN from a bank or shylock with the idea of PAYING IT BACK, today's "crowdsourcing" eliminates the concept of indebtedness - you give me money, I start a company, I make a profit and you get a thank you email. Economics 666? I guess.

I am disappointed that so many of you - especially YOU (you know who you are) - are so unskilled at debate and/or argumentation that you swiftly resort to "FUCK YOUs" and "MAGGOT" and "(I'm too demure to say FUCK YOU, so I'll just say) "I agree with the guy who said FUCK YOU, 'cause I'm a refined lay-dee."

Now, first reply to this with "FUCK YOU" gets $1. Hurry!

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

Stfu!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit