Cart Witnesses Today - I am not impressed

by pale.emperor 43 Replies latest jw experiences

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

Just approached a cart then with two JW girls holding out mags. They continued chatting to each other about car insurance when I took the Watchtower from one of their hands.

Ok, so it looks like I'll have to get the ball rolling. I asked if they were Jehovahs Witness. They said yes and carried on talking to each other.

I asked them what the books were about. They said "it's a book that explains the bible so you can understand it". Then just stood there facing the street holding their mags.

Am I right in understanding that you have to be an exemplary JW to have the privilege of doing cart witnessing? If this is the best their congregation has (Broad Green, Liverpool I later discovered as I said my goodbyes) then the standard really is slipping.

Why, it's almost as if they didn't want to do the ministry and it was a compulsion. No sense of urgency in preaching the "good news of gods kingdom at all". In my day I loved to get into a bible discussion.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

In my day I loved to get into a bible discussion.

The WT doesn't rely on them anymore, that's all. They can do whatever they want.

• sir82
    sir82

Am I right in understanding that you have to be an exemplary JW to have the privilege of doing cart witnessing?

Well, yes, but "exemplary" has devolved into "not under judicial restrictions, and a better than 75% chance of actually showing up for your assignment".

• amicabl
    amicabl

I was born a scouser. It would be strange to go back now after 54 years in Oz and see the now familiar carts and what the khs look like. I had never even heard of the jws until I came out here at 14. Just reminiscing sorry.

• Listener
    Listener
    Why, it's almost as if they didn't want to do the ministry and it was a compulsion.

There doesn't appear to be any other explanation for it.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I guess it was obvious to them (no doubt, revealed by Holy Spirit) that you did not have the right heart attitude.

• Ding
    Ding

It's all about counting time.

If the WT did away with the reporting requirement, how many JWs would stop witnessing altogether?

• sir82
    sir82

If the WT did away with the reporting requirement, how many JWs would stop witnessing altogether?

Well north of 50% within the first year, and 90%+ within 3 years.

• jambon1
    jambon1

Most witnesses despise the need to do the ministry.

Understandably.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

Whenever i speak to cart witnesses (which is not very often, only when they look lonely and bored), my approach is the same. I make out i sorta-kinda know what witnesses believe due to a guy in work who used to be one who left.

My fave topics include:

How would we recognize the truth?

Could a person be JW Christian by using just the bible and not studying magazines?

Could God use other people to transmit his will, like an average JW or even non JWs?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit