Only 144,000 saved in 2000 years?

by LevelThePlayingField 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LevelThePlayingField
    LevelThePlayingField

So I phoned an elder in the cong and asked him: "When did the calling for the great crowd start, was it 1935? He said, "No, I think I remember a convention talk about 1950." So anyway, I said, "So then let's say in the 20th century right? And so if 8 million plus people have gotten the truth in this last century and prior to that it was the heavenly calling, then why for almost 2000 years was there only 144,000 people that found God's favor?"

He said, "I don't have an answer for that." And then went on to try to explain away about how the population now is so much more than it was way back then, and "if fact if you consider" all the inventions and blah, blah...

I brought him right back to the original argument and asked him again, "So you mean to tell me then, of the countless millions and millions of people that lived that only a 100,000 plus people found God's favor in 2000 years but in the last 100 years 8 million did? How are we to understand that?"

He said, "Some things you just have to take on faith. And you know these questions you have, sometimes we don't need to ask all these, well, we don't need to know all these questions or answers to all these questions do we? Really, if you think about it, there's a lot of things that we don't know, and we just accept them and wait for the Slave to clarify them"...and I can't recall everything of his rant after that.

But I think this is a good questions to pose to Jdubs out there. They won't know how to answer either, or will they.

• prologos
    prologos
    The answer is in your 100+ years since 1914/18. Almost all these people of the past will be resurrected, only the 144 000 share with priority timing since 1918. "Jxxxx" busy, ruling,, running the wt, and also slowly doing the triage of the memory bank, to reserve most for the comebacks for the post-overlapping- paradise.
  • Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

As I understand it, all people who did not get the opportunity to become a follower of the WTS will get their chance by being resurrected during the "1000 years" and being given that opportunity.

Let's guess that means 10 billion people would be given that chance to obey the Watch Tower Society.

If 1 million were to be resurrected each and every day, imagine the task awaiting the "faithful", knowing that another million will pop out of the depths. And how many years would that go on for?! (Let's say, 30 years.) How would the "faithful few JWs manage?

Sounds like pure bliss, not!

Doug

• Lieu
    Lieu

They can't answer such because their reasoning is selfish and without sound basis. Their objective is to separate to lord over their fellow human "brothers", while Christ's objective was to unite.

I see it as the 12 Tribes for whom the 12 Apostles were obligated by Christ to take the message of redemption; dire lost Israel. Simple symbolic multiplication.

The Great Crowd is simply the Gentiles who were to get the same message of redemption and same prize.

And the DUH! There would be more Gentiles than Jews who would hear and believe Christ was the promised Messiah; even to this very day.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

So I phoned an elder in the congregation and asked him: "When did the calling for the great crowd start, was it 1935? He said, "No, I think I remember a convention talk about 1950."

The elder should have known that there is no decades-long "calling" of the great crowd, because the Bible account clearly shows that only living survivors of Armageddon (not dead Christians!) are termed "the great crowd."

Revelation 7:9,13,14 "After this I saw, and look! a great crowd, which no man was able to number, out of all nations and tribes and peoples and tongues, standing before the throne and before the Lamb, dressed in white robes; and there were palm branches in their hands. In response one of the elders said to me: "These who are dressed in the white robes, who are they and where did they come from?" So right away I said to him: "My lord, you are the one who knows." And he said to me: "These are the ones who come out of the great tribulation, and they have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb."

• Simon
    Simon

I think some estimate well over 200,000 early Christians were martyred.

The WTS decides that a large proportion of those must have been fake and died for their fake beliefs.

But all their guys now are 100% legit. Yup.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim
    The 144,000 doctrine has got to be one of the most terribly flawed doctrines the JW's teach, right up there with that ''half-wit'' blood doctrine.
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

Even back when I was still in, I suspected that when the WT higher-ups decided that the number 144000 was literal, they had no idea how many JWs there'd eventually be...

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim
    That scripture in Revelation where it talks about the anointed, the speaker who was giving the talks would always skip from being ''figurative'' about similar verses then ''literal'' to the verse about the 144,000. C'mon, everything in the book of Revelation is, FIGURATIVE!!
  • LevelThePlayingField
    LevelThePlayingField
    I appreciate all of your answers, thank you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit