A 17 Year Old's Journey To Freedom

by DLou278 12 Replies latest jw experiences

• DLou278
    DLou278

Hey guys! I have written an article on my exit from the Watchtower. I am 17 years old and leaving has been the best decision that I have ever made. Since I have left, life has been amazing. Of course, the leaving process was horrible, but completely worth it.

So please have a read of the article and I would love some feedback!

https://medium.com/@duanelouis_98685/a-17-year-old-s-journey-to-freedom-3a819762b055#.4247iyufr

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

A well written account young fella ! I am looking forward to more from yourself.

You seem wise beyond your years, and very clear as to your future, but don't forget most of us on here have made the same journey, so should you need any advice please ask away.

It is painful as you say to lose friends we thought were close, and to realise how shallow and weak their conditional friendship was, they think more of those old men in New York, whom they have never met, than they do of us who they have shared many good things with in person.

All the best for a wonderful, FREE, future !

• Half banana
    Half banana
    Well done Douane! I think there will be many on this site who envy your honesty in recognising the false utopia so early in your JW career. Very well written too.
  • Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

Hi Douane!! And Welcome to your new found freedom.

Like I have said before somewhere on these forums is this. If you have the means( I say the term means to apply to the emotional strength and stamina) to leave this horrible religion, more power to you. Good luck and God Bless!!

• KateWild
    KateWild

I have read your story. It's nice to get to know you. Very well written and interesting. Welcome to JWN

Kate xx

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Good article, DLou.

Yes, active JWs are brainwashed. I even remember one brother saying to me "the world calls us brainwashed. Well, I don't mind - at least my brain is clean!"

Welcome to the forum.

• steve2
    steve2

Welcome Duane. I enjoyed reading about your experiences leading up to and following your baptism. Your ability to express yourself is impressive in one so young - yet also so emotionally and spiritually aware!

I believe that for many young ones, baptism is a kind of subtle 'turning point', almost like an anticlimax. We aim for becoming baptized servants of Jehovah and when we are, we realize most, if not all of what we do is to please JW organization. Jehovah is really a back seat passenger, given how much attention is given to the Governing Body and, by extension, the elders.

Witnesses love to criticize the churches of Christendom for glorifying men - yet they are blind to their own sheep-like adoration of the Governing Body.

You make so many sensible and perceptive comments about the JW organization. Your observations about the group mentality show that you have an active thinking brain. Unfortunately, JW organization does not have room for individuals who use their brains!

I too was very receptive to the social aspects of my local congregation when I was a teenager and young adult. I thought I was doing all the "theocratic" activities because of believing it was "the truth" but in fact it had more to do with really wanting to be a part of a social network, including with family. These are normal human needs - but they also stop us from carefully examining what we believe because we fear the consequences if we cannot resolve our doubts (e.g., having JW friends turn against us, disapprove, spread rumors, etc).

• Khaleesi
    Khaleesi

Hi, your story is soo inspiring and I am soo happy your family got out with you. You are very very smart & still young enough to get an education & live a successful happy life. So true what you said the regime of the JW life burns out people & before you realize it you waste many years in a perfunctory life that leads to depression & no satisfaction, living in a bubble constantly...

Your reasoning & the conclusions you came to at this age are truly remarkable & very encouraging... welcome to your freedom! I hope my son grows up as insightful & intelectual as you at that age!

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Fantastic article. Congrats on gaining soo much personal awareness and human insight at such a young age. Your honesty, alertness and articulation skills will take you far and will help you create a life that you will love.

Welcome to JWN!! and thank you for such a great intro post.

One comment on a fact in your article, though.

DLou278 wrote (in the article linked in the OP): News has recently came out that there have been 1006 unreported child sexual abuse cases within the org.

This is not correct and grossly understates the magnitude of the child sex abuse situation within the JW organization.

1006 represents the number of known abusers. Most abusers have multiple victims. Each victim would represent one case. Thus, the number of actual *cases* is likely much greater than 1006.

Also, those 1006 known abusers are solely within Australia. This data was taken from the ARC which convened to address the issues only as they pertain to Australia.

Worldwide, global numbers are not known but I have often seen reference to more than 23,000 offenders.

Barbara Anderson would be the best source for global numbers as she had access to the records while she was at Brooklyn Bethel. [Barbara's website is www.watchtowerdocuments.org]

I truly enjoyed your article, though. Thank you for sharing it with us~!!

Looking forward to your next installment.

-Aude Sapere (meaning: Dare to Know; Dare to Have Wisdom/Understanding; Dare to Think for Yourself.)

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie
    Welcome back when you are 67 and know A BIT more ..................................

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit