JW's and the National Anthem/Flag

by Anony Mous 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Jofi_Wofo
    Jofi_Wofo

I'm pretty sure the flag doesn't have strong feelings either way whether or not anybody shows it the proper respect

Glad we're all on the same page that cultlike behavior is extremely harmful, and that we should all instead engage in perfunctory public rituals of symbolic loyalty to an abstract concept, expressing severe levels of scorn to socially sanction those who do not exhibit strict compliance to the mandated norm

• Jofi_Wofo
    Jofi_Wofo

The emotes are so glitchy on this site. Why can't I just delete one????

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    The emotes are so glitchy on this site. Why can't I just delete one????

I can't even press them properly as the "emoticon" word obscures a lot of the good ones.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

I remember being a JW and going to a few games with fellow cult members, and once the national anthem started playing, our group keeping our hats on and staying seated, while the folks around us looked on with disgust and often with snarky remarks directed at us.

I never liked that. I always wanted to show respect but just had to go with the program.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

In the UK we merely stand for the anthem. .. and it is not played as often as the American one is.

It is ironic that now sitting it out is viewed as a political statement , when WTS advocated it to be neutral of politics. I never saw the objection anyway, since we are told to "respect ...and honour the king " in scripture. I used to sit it out or escape the auditorium first though, just to be obedient.

• carla
    carla

I'm a ubm, I can't tell you how embarrassing and humiliating it is to be with a jw when they sit during the anthem. Years ago when our kids were in school I would try to distance myself from him but on bleachers it is hard to do! Worse was when the Veterans would be nearby with their Korean or Vietnam gear on, they would do a double take like, "what's this guys problem?". Naturally this was all years before kneeling became a thing.

Odd isn't it that Tim Tebow got in trouble for kneeling and praying and now it is popular to kneel to make a political statement?

• rh3988
    rh3988

We had to actively disrespect the flag and anthem and be no part of the world, because we were our own country with Jesus as king.

Sometimes the performer disrespects the anthem enough for everyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XADa9yeigTw

• rh3988
    rh3988

One thing we were always taught in the past is how we should sit down and pray (kneel) to Jehoober whenever we were at an event where they played the national anthem.

The only person I pray to is Beyoncé.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGDH18R7GfA

• JWPrince
    JWPrince

Watch...with all the kneeling in sports these days, the "New Light" is going to be that Witnesses should stand but not sing or salute! Around and around we go...where it stops? Right where we got on, because this is a merry-go-round as opposed to a train actually going somewhere. LOL

• sir82
    sir82

I was always embarrassed by the "remain seated during the national anthem" JW dictate.

My parents were folks who never like to draw attention to themselves, so they taught me this clever workaround for sporting events: A few minutes before the anthem is to be played, take a walk to the bathroom. If they still haven't finished by the time you are done, just hang out in the walkway below the seats until they have finished, then walk back to your seat.

Of the dozens of MLB games I have attended over the years, I don't think I ever saw the first pitch of the game from my seat.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit