JW's and the National Anthem/Flag

by Anony Mous 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

One thing we were always taught in the past is how we should sit down and pray (kneel) to Jehoober whenever we were at an event where they played the national anthem. We had to actively disrespect the flag and anthem and be no part of the world, because we were our own country with Jesus as king.

Given kneeling/sitting for the national anthem is now the favorite pastime of the far-left and if you do so, you get associated with Democrats, how do Jehovah's Witnesses now 'become no part of this world' when they have to disrespect the flag?

• Mr.Finkelstein
    Mr.Finkelstein

They've always have disrespected the flag, nothing new to them.

now the favorite pastime of the far-left and if you do so, you get associated with Democrats

A just to let you know taking a knee during the national anthem is not just performed by Democrats, either are the people protesting in the streets .

You could say the majority of these people are most likely to be on the political left though.

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

How do Jehovah's Witnesses now 'become no part of this world' when they have to disrespect the flag?

They could do what a now elder, who lives in Texas did and taught his kids to do; flip the bird at the flag while loudly saying, "Here is my flag salute!"

He managed to start a near brawl doing that a few years ago at a town parade when the color guard went by.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

@FedUpJW: Haha, that is funny. But even that would get you associated with BLM/Antifa nowadays. My question was more, as both action, inaction and reaction get you associated with a particular political group (if you participate you're a right-winger, if you don't, you're a left-winger, if you react you're a communist, what's a JW to do. We need more noo light on this issue!

• St George of England
    St George of England

JW's always sat down when the National Anthem played. If they were already sitting they would remain seated.

Then there was a change, 1985 I think, that said if you were already standing you did not need to sit but could remain standing during the Anthem.

George

Edit: - school brochure

*** sj pp. 15-16 Flag Salute, Anthems and Voting ***

When national anthems are played, usually all that a person has to do to show that he shares the sentiments of the song is to stand up. In such cases, Witness youths remain seated. However, if our youths are already standing when the national anthem is played, they would not have to take the special action of sitting down; it is not as though they had specifically stood up for the anthem. On the other hand, if a group are expected to stand and sing, then our young people may rise and stand out of respect. But they would show that they do not share the sentiments of the song by refraining from singing.

• lancelink
    lancelink

I graduated HS in 79, and an elders son was sitting right next to me during the ceremony.We had a meeting with his dad a couple of days before, and he instructed us not to get involved in any way with the flag anthem.

So,,, everyone was standing at the beginning of the graduation, and the anthem started.

Out of 700 kids we were the only two who sat down when the music played, talk about feeling like a total moron.

Embarrassing to me as a teenager how the jw mindset just short circuits, and overpowers any natural social actions.

• Mr.Finkelstein
    Mr.Finkelstein

The JWS doctrine of not associating or being involved in governmental institutions is a mistranslation of Jesus's words when he said my kingdom is no part of this world,

There was no instruction for his followers to not be themselves.

The other fact to consider is there are many biblical figures in the bible who were or had political governmental positions of god's chosen ones/people within the Hebrew civilization.

Just to point out a fact, the government of the time of Christ was the established Roman government which was for a long time against Christianity and that followed through until emperor Constantine overruled that position and embraced Christianity to become the official religion of the government/empire. (313 AD)

• titch
    titch

Well, Folks, the way that I understood it, while growing up, was that we were NOT to DISRUPT the Pledge of Allegiance, or the playing of the National Anthem. That, as we were told, would be showing disrespect for the ceremonies. In other words, those who chose to salute the flag and pledge allegiance, or rise during the National Anthem, were not to be interfered with. That was their RIGHT to do so. . It was also our right to refrain from participating, but refrain in a quiet respectful manner. I hope that helps.....Best Regards, all.....Titch.

• hybridous
    hybridous

I was taught to respectfully stand at attention during the flag salute at school.

Why this principle ought not carry over to the National Anthem...no JW or WT article was ever able to provide good explanation for...

Then I realized it wasn't about any underlying principle, it was about the Tower's desire to have JWs make a spectacle of themselves, as if that somehow serves as a 'good witness' to the community about how great people they all are.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I NEVER, NEVER, understood the thing with the national anthem.

You are allowed to stand up in a courtroom to show "respect" for a judge when he/she enters the courtroom as is the custom, but you were not supposed to stand up and show respect for the country when the anthem is played.

I never considered it "worshiping" anyone or anything but just being respectful. But it made it very difficult on occasions in school.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit