Was It Really Mental Illness or Was It The Demons?

by minimus 32 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

We supposedly had more than a few “demonized” people in our congregation. They would hear voices or feel internal punishment within their souls. The answer was always—-these people were affected by the demons and they needed counseling!

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Its called human ignorance drawn out from the human ignorance of humanity's part.

There are various kinds of mental illness, even telling people that they have demons inundating their mind can enhance the illness further ........ and you can thank religion for doing that

• NotBlind
    NotBlind

Yeah, I remember those people too. There were always individuals in the congregation that were having problems with the demons, either because of something they bought at a yard sale or because of some other issue in their lives.

Not coincidentally, they were also - without exception - the most emotionally needy, disturbed, and uneducated in the congregation (and that’s saying a lot in the JW org).

They’re also the true believers.

When you think of how this organization treats its members, it becomes obvious why so many of them suffer from mental delusions. They’re taught that Satan is after them and personally sets mental traps to get them. They’re also told that the world is going to end any day now, and it never does. They’re told that no matter how much they’re doing for Jehovah, it’s never enough. They’re told not to better themselves, that they need to spend more time selling comic books for the corporation.

A recent WT magazine showed a man on his computer late at night, with a holographic Satan-the-Devil in lion form right next to him. These people are taught that the devil literally enters their home when they have a moment of weakness. That’s disturbing enough as it is, but for someone who has a mental illness, they’re a whole lot more likely to think they’re hearing SATAN the next time a window creaks in their old house.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Oo, oo we had a sister who was demon-buster in our cong. No shit, she would say that anyone with mental illness was under demon attack and so desperate sisters always sisters (eye roll) would invite her into their homes and she would go through everything with them and collect up the items they would need to destroy.

Sort of like decluttering for demonic hoarders lol.

Once her and another sister said after one of these sessions they actually saw a demon on the road outside the sister's house! I shit you not!

Demons though? No just very stressed, unhappy, confused, people under the control of a demanding asshole of a cult.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010
    Was It Really Mental Illness or Was It The Demons?

Mental Illness. Demons don't exist.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

What if you told the elders, the demons made me do it. I purchase a shirt from a yard sale and the next thing I knew I woke up in the bed with this woman naked as a J bird. I don't know what happen.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams
    I'd go with the first option: mental illness.
  • Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

Epilepsy back in the bible's day was considered demonism. Back in gospel times demonism seem to be the superstitious diagnoses of a whole host of mental conditions we call by a different name in modern times if we are not blinded by religious indoctrination.

• Virgochik
    Virgochik

My parents studied with a couple in the mid seventies. The man, I believe now, was probably schizophrenic. He was hearing voices. Of course he was counseled to get rid of anything he owned that was drawing demons. The poor man needed concern and psychiatric treatment not this nonsense which upset him worse.

I recall they stopped studying shortly after.

• Jayk
    Jayk
    Some thing might be wrong with my mom.. She was disfellowshiped 3 times and I feel it made her very bitter. I don't think her family ever approved of her marrying my dad. She got pregnant while still in high school with my oldest brother. When she was DFed she was running around alot with worldly guys she worked with.. My mom wasn't bad looking but she had 4 kids including myself so most likely wasn't having any more with another man.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit