I love heavy metal!!!

by ironsnake656 18 Replies latest jw experiences

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Hey, I am not a big fan of G 'n' R or Iron Maiden- just a slight variance of personal tastes. I lean a bit more toward heavy guitar slightly older classic rock like Led Zeppelin and The Who, but my taste also goes way toward AC/DC, Ozzy, Judas Priest and the like.

I put my music taste aside in the late 80's and stuck with mainstream classic rock (which was called "Rock" then) when I became a young adult JW. So not only did I give up my birthday, I gave up my music.

Boy oh boy, I came back strong to the music. Music is like a drug for me and it always has the right songs to fit the feeling or the general attitude. Older rock tends to be about flipping the bird to mainstream society. I get in moods and music fits right in there.

• St George of England
    St George of England

Axl Rose is an anagram of Oral Sex so he's not getting the WT stamp of approval any time soon!

George

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

And Led Zeppelin. Even though that music was recorded in 1969 through 1979, it is still classic. Get that Led Zeppelin IV album, listen through, and then compare it to any Kingdumb malady. Physical Graffiti is another excellent album (a double album), and Kashmir is one song destined to become a classic hundreds of years from now (assuming the communists don't go around blowing them all up and slamming people into the gulags for just knowing about those songs).

Funny thing, the jokehovian witlesses were bashing the crap out of Led Zeppelin. Jimmy Page is supposedly a Satanist, and he is into the occult. But, religion is afraid that, upon listening carefully to Stairway to Heaven (yes, that is on the IV album), people are going to wonder if they should even be going to church at all. Hence, they are missing out on what is going to be a classic 500 years from now.

Other groups and acts that are hard rock/heavy metal that I enjoy are Pink Floyd, David Bowie, and Billy Idol. I recommend The Dark Side of the Moon--it wasn't the longest running album in the Top 200 on record for nothing. All the while the jokehovians are snoozing to Barbra Streisand (which I do NOT recommend--too lame, and the good tracks were really Diana Ross (Stoney End), Barry Gibb (Guilty), or Donna Summer (The Main Event and No More Tears), or damning their souls to Kingdumb maladies (even worse), I am enjoying Led Zeppelin and Billy Idol.

I also enjoy rap and funk. Michael Jackson is good soul/disco/funk music. Earth Wind & Fire is also good music, as are some of the classic rap songs. I do not listen for inspiration--just for entertainment. Hence, I can listen to Three-6 Mafia rapping about doing drugs, realizing it's their brains and their livers that they are ruining, not mine. Interestingly, Michael Jackson is another artist that the washtowel lambasted--I feel Off The Wall, Thriller, and Bad are among the top all-time recommended albums.

• Powermetal4ever
  • nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

I'm in my fifties now, still love 80's metal

• compound complex
    compound complex

When my wife and I were uber righteous and by the "book," it was really hard on the older kid, who was strongly into HM. Well, it ended up our son's welfare, in every sense of the word, trumped the wisdom of the Society, as enforced by the elders. Trials and tears getting there, but our boy's happiness came first.

Not only did we tell him he didn't have to be a JW -- no more meetings, service, Bible study -- but we surprised him by attending one of his concerts. He happened to look up from the stage (during warm up), saw Mom and Pop walk in at the upper level, dropped his guitar, and ran up the stairs to the balcony and gave us each a big hug.

Thirty years later, he's nicer and kinder than a dozen JWs.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

• Butyoucanneverleave
    Butyoucanneverleave

In 1989 we lived in Cleveland ohio. I remember a "brother" giving a talk on what was bad. He actually played 3 metal songs over the speakers. One was Ozzy's Bark at the moon. He said "would you listen to this music as a JW"? We were all banging our heads in the back row. Years later, I remember thinking that if that music was so bad where did he get it from and why was it played at the kh. He had to be an undercover apostate. I wonder where he is now?

• Tallon
    Tallon

Great thread. My era was the 80's therefore, the metal band that I was really into is Judas Priest. My favourite song of theirs is: You got another thing coming - see link.

That twin guitar sound of K K Downing and Glenn Tipton is awesome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biXnwOMznkg

• ironsnake656
    ironsnake656

Thank you all for your comments and for sharing your experiences!! I find so funny the experience of butyoucanneverleave about the elder who played the three songs in the KH speakers system. I'm imagining banging your heads in the back row!!! jaja... what happened if the elder played Slayer's Angel of Death? Image result for god listens to slayer

Anyways, this kind of music accompanied me during my hard times in life, and helped to express my feelings and to examine things more deeper. But the for mainstream people this music genre is outdated, satanist, obscure. Sam Dunn, in his documentary, exposes that heavy metal has been considered bad in society because "Metal confronts what we'd rather ignore. It celebrates what we often deny. It indulges in what we fear most. And that's why metal will always be a culture of outsiders". Besides, Tom Araya, Slayer's front man, said: "I consider what we do art, and art can be a reflection of society. I guess, uh, we're picking up the dark reflections".

I also like to listen disco. I had read some Watchtowers magazines (bound volumes from 1979) from my mom's library and there some articles saying a lot of BS about disco.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit