Did Ray Franz Help You To Get Out of “The Truth”?

by minimus 43 Replies latest jw friends

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Final nail in the coffin. ;)

• Darkknight757
    Darkknight757

Reading CoC helped me escape mentally without feeling the guilt. It was a blessing. Without it I may not have been able to leave with such a carefree attitude.

• Saethydd
    Saethydd

Learning of his story sparked my interest to examine the organization more closely but unfortunately I was never able to find an affordable copy of his book

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Sad to say I just put it all down to his being a relative of Fred Franz and was maybe jealous of Fred or just disgruntled at not having the authority he maybe desired .

That was then when I read the book but not now of course.

In the 1960`s I read " I was a WatchTower Slave For Thirty Years " and the penny still didn`t drop.

How gullible was I

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Ha ha Ha!

Ray wrote CoC in 1983, at least five years AFTER I found out that a pedophile in the Middle Village Queens NY congregation was being PROTECTED by our lily-livered "elders."

I don't owe Ray SQUAT. Furthermore, he maintained that he knew NOTHING about a pedophile problem in the WTB&TS. Was he ignorant, naive, or a liar? That's above my pay grade, as they say.

To this day I have not read CoC cover-to-cover because i doubt it has anything in it that would influence my choices.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

...OK, truth be told, I have scanned some sections of the book, but Ray Franz is not my "spiritual father" -- that honor goes to my good friend and confidant Willis C. and to Barbra G. Harrison, in a sense.

• dozy
    dozy

Yes. Ray with his inside information helped to to join the dots , affirming and adding to what I already knew ( or suspected ) and make the huge mental leap that everybody needs to get out of a cult indoctrinated since childhood. At that time there were a few chapters of Crisis of Conscience in the public domain and reading those was like lifting the blinkers. Other resources ( including this forum ) helped but Ray's books were absolutely crucial for me.

• Cadellin
    Cadellin

I was already in motion to leave but it sure helped. I was struck by what a gracious and articulate writer he was and how he refrained from name-calling or other bitter rhetoric. As someone who had seen the inner workings of the WT, everything he said resonated with my own experience or research; CofC has, as they say, the "ring of truth." What a contrast with one of the last RC I attended, where on a 13 min. symposium part, the "brother" managed to use a defamatory or abusive term to describe "apostates" an amazing 60+ times!

• LV101
    LV101

I was long gone and on a mini god-free break in my head before his first book. Read his second book and it was faith/hope restoring.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

instrumental, I read ISoCF firstly (early 1990's) , sneakily read it in the car and at work, it was the final nail in my jw career, there was no going back, the fraud was so clearly exposed for what it was; a lie and a fraud.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit