Questions for JW's from Christians

by Perry 26 Replies latest jw friends

• smiddy
    smiddy

Isn`t their over 40,000 different Christian sects already ?

smiddy

• Carol1111
    Carol1111

Thanks for this, Perry. I am always looking for questions to ask the JW's who come to my door.

I also have a question:

Jesus said that we were to take the bread and wine in memory of him until he returns.

If he returned in 1914, then why do some JW's still take the bread and wine now?

If he did not return, then when and how will he return to stop the need for remembering?

• prologos
    prologos

Smiddy: "Isn`t their over 40,000 different Christian sects already ? I have not counted, but members of every one of them should be shown how wrong they are, with effective tools. particularly those cults that insist on being in a militant attack mode. I always had fun with mormon young elders.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Carol1111 what an excellent point I had never thought of that.

Perry Good idea. There are already some web pages etc directed at JWs and written by Christians but something written by an exJW is going to understand their way of thinking that much better. I think a leaflet specifically dealing with the blood issue from a Christian perspective would be really beneficial too....its about saving lives after all.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

As to the question why convert a Christian from one form of Christianity to another, there are 3 answers.

1. Cults are damaging.

2. Deaths from the blood issue

3. Shunning loved ones

There are 3 good ones to be going on with...whether you are religious or not.

• Sugar Shane
    Sugar Shane
    As to the question why convert a Christian from one form of Christianity to another, there are 3 answers.
    1. Cults are damaging.
    2. Deaths from the blood issue
    3. Shunning loved ones

True.

I feel much more at ease hanging out with my Methodist (vs JW) coworker because:

a) he's at ease with me as well (I'm not some 'worldly' barbarian).

b) the topic of conversation doesn't revolve around all things Methodist, and he's not pushing me into a 'Bible study.'

c) he probably doesn't shun his daughter for marrying a Baptist.

d) if there's a city-wide flood or other disaster, I know that his group (among others) will offer me food & shelter., Wish I could say the same thing about JWs.

JWs are a cult. Anything you can do to get the wheels turning in their individual minds is fine, as long as you don't stoop to their level and make it 'my way, or the high-way.' But, that's the problem. What you, I, or the Methodist fella might see as an open, two-way discussion about faith, a JW (in my experience) sees as a one-sided battle of the wills. They've always talked AT ME, not WITH ME. So frustrating.

• OneGenTwoGroups
    OneGenTwoGroups

If you are Christian and feel the need to set a JW straight, start of with some common footing by establishing what all you agree on:

1. The Bible is God's Word
    2. Homosexuality is an abomination
    3. Women should know their place in the family and at church
    4. Teens should feel guilty about masturbating
    5. The human race is only 6,000 years old

After that you can start splitting hairs about how drinking fake human blood ought to be done.

• TheLiberator
    TheLiberator
    Another question: Can you show me from the scriptures, that baptism is dedication and involves making sure you are qualified through questioning?
  • Ding
    Ding

There's a 2007 booklet entitled Answering Jehovah's Witnesses with Questions by Philip DelRe which does something similar. You can find it on Amazon.

If you do one yourself, I suggest you include:

1. How to minimize the risk that this will come across as persecution and drive the JWs further into the borg

2. What to do if the JW says, "I'm glad you're interested in the Bible. Those are great questions. We'll be happy to come back and explain what we believe and why through a Bible study right in your own home. It's free!"

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

Hey Perry keep it simple and focused on salvation. You can alway to a series of tracts. Just like the jws do

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit