Hello from Scotland - it has been ages....

by The Scotsman 25 Replies latest jw friends

• flipper
    flipper

Welcome back Scotsman, nice to have you here ! As you can see it's pretty apparent the WT Society is in full tilt downsizing mode as to consolidate congregations and try to put more $$$ in the " kingdom " bank accounts.

That being said - they have to do that due to a couple factors. I was made aware two or three years ago that the WT Society went into default on some big construction bank loans from one of the major banks back on the east coast in U.S. ( possibly B of A can't remember ) but after that - they were blacklisted from receiving any more construction loans. And then of course since you were last on the board their have been thousands more JW child abuse lawsuit cases around the world. Not only the bad publicity of having their child abuse policies exposed publicly by the Australia commission- but WT Society is digging in and refusing to hand over court requested documents showing there are approximately 23,000 pedophiles still inside the JW organization. They stood in contempt of court to do so, even willing to pay millions of $$$$ in fines to protect the names and identity of said JW pedophiles.

So in a quick nutshell - this kind of stuff has been going down since you left. Personally- I think that with each progressing year - WT Society is getting backed into a corner tighter and tighter until eventually ( and who knows when ) the air will be squeezed out of them by authorities

• The Scotsman
    The Scotsman

That was one of my big bug bears - the orgs reputation was paramount and was more important than everything else.
    Is there a good source to look at regarding the Australian commission?

slimboyfat - ok - the actual facts regarding Anniesland are -
    Anniesland cong are now "sharing" Kelvin kingdom hall in Maryhill. (Not merging)
    Anniesland hall is being sold.
    Plan is for new hall to be built at Kelvin in about 2 years or so.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

That's interesting. I wonder how they justified it to the congregation. Simply, "look we need the money, and you can drive ten minutes down the road so don't complain". Who makes rather decision, I wonder. And can local elders stop it?

By the way Scotsman I wrote this thread arguing that WT is in serious financial trouble a few months ago. Not everyone agrees, but the facts speak for themselves.

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/6316808367767552/reasons-concluding-that-watchtower-serious-financial-trouble

• Earnest
    Earnest

The Scotsman : Is there a good source to look at regarding the Australian commission?

The transcripts can be found here and here. The videos can be seen here.

If you want to limit yourself to one day I would recommend the examination of Geoffrey Jackson, a member of the Governing Body, here and here.

• happy@last
    happy@last

I believe because Anniesland hall is so old and has been in need of demolishing for years it's reached it's end of being useful. I heard the cong had a large donation when one of their members died so therefore at the moment some may remember that and grumble if the money went to Kelvin. Don't forget though Kelvin has foreigh language congs there too so the hall is in constant use!

I met up with some of the Greenlees recently, all well and good and enjoying freedom

• cofty
    cofty
    I met up with some of the Greenlees recently, all well and good and enjoying freedom

That's good to hear.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit