The question of who man/woman actually is...

by The Rebel 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Well one is a male and the other is a feminine male (ie. female)
    Man, wo-"man" - Lieu

Female

Origin

Middle English: from Old French femelle, from Latin femella, diminutive of femina 'a woman'. The change in the ending was due to association with male, but the words male and female are not linked etymologically.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/female

Lieu I bet you agree with the JW elder I heard say in a talk that woman means a man with a womb.

• Truthexplorer
    Truthexplorer

Belief in God comes down to 'faith'. You either beleive in God or you don't. For me I believe in God as cannot believe everything came about by chance, On the other hand I have a relative who I enjoy having debates with who believes in evolution. We simply agree to disagree.

Belief in God for me gives me hope and that helps me personally to be a better person. It has helped me give up drugs, smoking and listening to Barry Manilo records. It comes down to faith.

• Landy
    Landy
    For me I believe in God as cannot believe everything came about by chance,

Evolutionists don't believe everything came about by chance either.

Creation or chance aren't the only two options despite what the WTS would have you believe.

• Heaven
    Heaven

The Rebel said: The question of man/woman naturally leads to the question of God.

I disagree with this. You have to have first been indoctrinated into a belief system of God. There are so many different flavours of god too. As children, we have no choice about what our parents do. We believe because we trust them and do what we are told. As we get older and as adults, our knowledge increases. It is key to develop critical thinking skills and adhere to intellectual honesty. Our knowledge of the natural world is far greater than it was thousands of years ago. The gods or god, just don't add up.

The Rebel said:Why does man need God?

If you look at ancient history, the gods and goddesses were created to define the natural world. Ancient man did not understand thunder, lightning, volcanoes, infection, disease, winds, love, evil. Multiple gods and goddesses were defined to explain these. But somewhere along the way, someone decided that there must be just one all powerful god, probably because something didn't work out that they were sure would. It may have been a conquering tribe's primary belief system that had to be adopted by the conquered tribes. Certain ancients decided that one God was all that should be worshipped and a new belief system was born. I think it is key to note, that the ancient belief systems of multiple gods does still exist today. The Jews, Christians and Islamists were/have been unable to eradicate them even though they tried/try. Again, looking over history, you can see religious beliefs evolving and new ones being born. Once created, God can then be used as a mechanism to control people.

Humans also know they can suffere from sickness and calamities, and they know they are going to grow old and die. These are unpleasantries. So they dreamed up a reason for these and an after-life to appease their unease.

It's all a bunch of fantasy. There is no evidence to support these beliefs. The knowledge we possess today contradicts many religious claims. It is interesting to note how the instances of 'god' speaking to humans has diminished in proportion to mankind's increase in technology and knowledge.

Perry said: left to himself man serves his fallen flesh

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams
    The question of who man/woman actually is... naturally leads to the question of God - but does it?
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

Truthexplorer - "...It has helped me give up... listening to Barry Manilo records..."

You needed God for that?

I'd have thought the fact that his music sucks was reason enough. :smirk:

• Truthexplorer
    Truthexplorer
    Vidiot.....that's how bady life was before lol :-)
  • cofty
    cofty
    For me I believe in God as cannot believe everything came about by chance, On the other hand I have a relative who I enjoy having debates with who believes in evolution. We simply agree to disagree.

As Landy said evolution is not about chance.

Maybe you should investigate it before you reject the foundational theory of biology.

Evolution is a fact, it's not a matter for opinion or preference.

• JW_Rogue
    JW_Rogue
    left to himself man serves his fallen flesh

Meaning what exactly?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit