Anyone else feel guilty about bringing others into the "truth", once you have learned TTATT ?

by Dunedain 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Dunedain
    Dunedain

I guess this is not so much about guilt, per se, but more so if you feel an obligation to reveal what you now know about TTATT, to those who you have studied with, taught the "truth" to, and are still in the Borg ?

I am sure most of us, after learning about the evils, and lies perpetrated by this organization, must feel some sort of guilt for being the catalyst in "exposing" others to the Cult. Honestly, I feel none of us should actually, feel guilty though. All, or most, were duped by the cult, themselves. We are all victims of its false propaganda, its lies, and its covering up of its past. Born in, too, are victims of the lies, and because their parents were lied to.

I have spoken to a few people recently, who are "awake", but still "in", some of them are even family members. A few of them are a little pained with some guilt, or feeling an obligation, to now let those people that they were responsible for exposing to the "truth", know whats really going on in the ORG, now that they are "awake".

I personally, do not have this affecting me. I was born in, and "out" in my late teens/early twenties, so I hadn't done much blind, over-zealous recruiting.

However, many here, when first learning the "truth", were trying to teach it to ANYONE who would listen. I have a family member who alone, was probably responsible for bringing almost 20 to 30 people into the "truth", since the 70's. Most, if not all, of those people are still "in", and are still close friends with the person who brought them into the "truth".

What do you do, however, when years later, you discover the TTATT. Years of false "prophecies", years of MEN making rules, years of people dying from misquoted scripture, years of seeing the hypocrisy from the MEN in position, years of slowly uncovering the lies of the organization, and you realize this is an evil CULT, being run by the Evil slave of the GB.

Do you go back to the ones you taught the "truth" to, and show them whats really going on? Do you have an obligation to do this, as you feel responsible for exposing them to the madness? Its a very hard decision, especially when its wrapped up in feelings of guilt, fear of exposing oneself as being an "apostate". Now these friends you are trying to help again, out of love, may feel obligated to turn you in, especially if they are still "in the box".

Its a tough decision, but I think we shouldn't feel so much guilt about it. We are all victims of the lies. Maybe there are subtle ways to help others learn TTATT, by anonymously sending info, or dropping a few "points" here and there.

How do others here feel about this? Do you guys feel an almost obligation to help those you brought in the "truth", now know the REAL truth? Does anybody feel guilty, which I feel you shouldn't, but that's easier said than done? Also, if you ARE taking action to, SPECIFICALLY, reach those that you brought into the "truth", what ways are you using?

I would love to know how others feel about this, and I really think discussing it may help others that are feeling a little guilt about this.

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

Yeah...I do! The only person I had the now disprivilege of bringing into the "lie" was a workmate in the late 1970's. He bought it hook, line and sinker from me and the ones I introduced him to. He wound up marrying (I was best man) a JW who was not mentally stable and eventually got divorced. This union produced a beautiful daughter who is now married with her own family and still a JW.

The last time I talked to this guy was in 2003 or 2004. I was already out but kept some semblance of interest for ones such as he.

Now I have been totally out and moved 1200 miles away to Florida. Some from my past life as a JW know where I am and word gets around about my standing. I don't care who knows where I am and what I believe today. Talking to them would be a lot of fun if they ever got in touch.

In a conversation with my wonderful daughter (who is also out) I asked if she thought it would be a good idea to write this guy/brother to tell him my story.

She said that I should. So far, I haven't done it.

He had his own problems with the JW's and was upset about a lot of crap with the religion when I last talked to him.

What do you guys think? Should I write to him or not?

• Dunedain
    Dunedain

Happy Dad - Based on what you said, about your friend having his own issues with the Borg, I bet if you did reach out to him you both would probably be on the same page.

Sometimes, you just need to hear it from someone else who is in the "know", and it confirms their own thoughts. They may not feel so "afraid" once they realize they are not alone. Also, if they realize they can comfortably talk to someone about things, and without the fear of being "outed", it helps.

I would reach out to that friend, under the guise of just wanting to say HI and reconnect, first. Feel him out, and then let him know where you are with things. Then you may see you are both sharing the same thoughts.

It seems like you would have nothing to lose, and only everything to gain by doing it.

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

I am proud to say...(besides my kids), I have never brought anyone into the "troof". That is why I am out....I'm a Looser! lol

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

I used to feel that I was in someway still had something to achieve as I had never even started a bible study let alone brought someone into da troof.

Now I am glad I was a failure on the ministry.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Yes I feel bad about the two people my husband and I brought into that cult. At least we went and talked to both of them before we left but we couldn't get anywhere.

• Mozzie
    Mozzie

I had 3 people come into the truth, thankfully they fell away.,

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I typically did a lousy job in field circus. While I could hold my own against the likes of Pentecostals and born-again xians, I never got them recruited. I usually borked those return visits, letting them go out of date or perennially merely placing washtowel and asleep rags without progressing.

Not to mention, I would rarely be out more than 5 hours contiguously. It would get very tedious if I would start at 9 AM and be out much later than 2 PM, or start at 7:30 for street work and be out much past noon. Even that was usually too much, as it would start getting tedious and boring. I would not like to be out 7 days a week, from 9 AM to 4 or 5 PM doing field circus--it would be more stressful to me than even going to work. (For sure, it would be more stressful than watching the price of silver dropping a toilet paper or more per ounce a week after ordering several ounces--at least then I would simply buy some more while it was on sale instead of wasting several hours going door to door.)

• jhine
    jhine

l have never been a JW ( l am an Anglican , Church of England ) so l have never brought anyone into the WT . I do try to wake people up about the WT , though that is like paddling backwards through treacle ! However l have wondered if it is always a kind or even responsible course of action in all cases . l know an elderly JW widow who's whole life is invested in the " The Truth " . lf she woke up and left she would lose pretty much everyone she knows , including her daughters . She seems happy so is it kinder to leave her as she is ?

We probably all know someone like that who would be bereft if their faith in the WT was destroyed .

Jan

• someDUDEinAsmallCubicalSomewhereOverTheRAINBOX
    someDUDEinAsmallCubicalSomewhereOverTheRAINBOX

It wasn't too difficult. When I first started to fade (before I just started lying blatantly about my time), I would just "lose" any potential RV info. As in throw it in the trash. So take good notes in front of my partner, then toss it at the house. Pretty easy. Of course, once I just started faking time and going to my "worldly" gf's house to play video games every Sat morning, the whole gig became even easier.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit