Older JWs who go Overseas to Live

by LongHairGal 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

I know of two older couples who have gone overseas to live in recent years.

One could be classified in my opinion as a “need greater” although I think it might also have to do with getting more for their money. The other I think was seeking out a cheaper and more naturally beautiful environment to live in their retirement years.

What I wondered is if these people are disenchanted and bored with life in the States. It might naturally have to do with the high cost of living. But, I also wonder if it has to do with things they don’t like in their local congregations and changes in the religion. Maybe halls got sold and they didn’t like traveling. Maybe they see older JWs in a panic who didn’t prepare for retirement; strife in congregations..Maybe they wonder if paradise is really coming and they want to be in as paradise-like conditions as they possibly can in this life after being JWs for so many years.(?)

One sends me texts telling me how blessed and privileged she is and I of course tell her how ‘wonderful’ and as long as she’s ‘happy’. To each his own.

• Zilgee
    Zilgee

Which country have they come?

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

XILGEE:

Can’t be more specific:..the Caribbean and Central America.

• LV101
    LV101

WOW - one has to be brave to venture life in Central America altho US is scary enough! I know Mexicans who have experienced horror stories visiting family/living in Central America - one family in Caribbean. I know this use to be popular but only desperate JWs would be forced to do this.

Know of 2 families that have beautiful homes in Mexico -- they drive to border, park their normal car and drive into Mexico in beater/clunker. I think Puerto Vallarta might be tad safer and know family that lives there half the year and love it.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Big joke is need greaters move to a place that needs them because so many move there.

They also almist always abandon a congregation that needs them to start with.

It is all about a cushy retirement

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

ROAD TO NOWHERE:

That too..but I suspect what’s really driving them is misery and boredom and the treadmill of activity in congregations. Other friends have moved away (or passed away)..they thought they’d be in the ‘new system’ by now.

They want to spend their remaining years not only in a cheaper place but also more beautiful! They can be keeping busy in the work in an economically depressed but less crowded area..Maybe more ‘laid back’ than in the States..Maybe more lush and green and/or near the seashore, etc...More like the ‘paradise’ they are waiting for, IMO.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

i live " overseas" from England UK....on the isle of Wight. but its only a 20 minute fast ferry ride away. like most who moved here--it started with summer holidays. i moved when i was 23--most wait till they retire.

when i did move here--i was stll attending meetings--and within 12 months other families also moved in, the congregation doubled in size.

its a peaceful place to live..mild climate most of the year. the reason many retire here is financial downsizing. anyone selling up in London can buy similar here for a quarter of the price--yet its only 70 miles away.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Central America ? ...... I would move to Costa Rica in a heartbeat. There are a huge number of Americans living there now. Beautiful country, stable, great coffee, a great health care system that thousands of Americans use, at about 30 cents on the dollar compared to the US.

The Caribbean is a bit dicier. A lot of the countries are divided between the haves and have-nots. A lot of crime in many places. Just very expensive in some of the better areas. I could go into detail on many of these countries but if I was moving to the Caribbean my first choice without doubt is part of the US, Puerto Rico. My wife and I have already thought about retiring there in the future.

If I ventured further out beyond my comfort zone, the Dutch territories, Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao would be my next choice. Curacao would be my first choice. They are far enough south that you don't have hurricanes but then you have to get used to the fact that you get very little rain ... not really tropical-looking like South Florida ... kind of barren in some ways.

The Bahamas is also an option being so close to Miami (Bimini is only 45 miles from the US coast) if you don't mind driving on the "wrong" side of the road (the left side). If you have a boat, it's about an hour to an hour and a half ride depending on what type of boat you have.

Overall, I really like Puerto Rico.

Rub a Dub

• Zilgee
    Zilgee

What about countries which have high crime rate?

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

STANLIVEDEATH:

I was really referring to third-worldish type places 😊 and JWs wanting to move to places that resemble pictures of paradise in the magazines..Not that there’s anything wrong with that if you want to get away from civilization...

RUBADUB:

Good for anybody who wants to move to Costa Rica. I hope it continues to be a safe ‘stable’ place, etc....As for Puerto Rico, if you have relatives and know your way around..you could try it.

Forget about any of those other dicier places..but, then again, somebody might do it..Let them.

I’m a single person and want to be near whatever family I have plus whatever doctors I go to!..I would not have a ‘comfort zone’ anywhere else!

Again, to each his own and Good Luck.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit