Do you miss the Kingdom Melodies?

by Candlestick02 30 Replies latest jw friends

• Hamas
    Hamas

Slightly.

But music is powerful; it makes you remember things and creates emotions inside of you. I remember some KM were very good...

Download some here...

www.escapethewatchtower.com/133.rar

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

Candlestick... it sounds like you were at the wrong church! If you want a "quiet 'sing one song and sit down' kind of thing," maybe you should try the Methodists or something.

Personally, while I did like some Kingdom Songs, it always seemed to me that the WTS felt the need to marginalize music, because they were afraid of displays of emotion. Even a small choir to lead the congregation's singing would have been a major improvement.

• Candlestick02
    Candlestick02

Euphemism, Perhaps. I mainly just went because I was invited. Although I liked the way they spoke.. the sermon was nice. I enjoyed that part. Just a little weirded out by the big 'production' of the singing. Maybe I'd get used to it someday. I just normally feel that when I'm dancing, I should be dancing... ie, take out the salsa dancing shoes and really tear up the floor. Not that people were really DANCING at this church, they were just REALLY into it and it was just different.

• Victorian sky
    Victorian sky

Dear Candlestick, I can totally relate! I went to church for the first time last Sunday. There was a band with drums, guitars, piano and a choir. It was fascinating to listen to them. First of all, they could actually sing unlike myself and many dubs who mumbled through the songs. I too enjoyed the church service I went to but I couldn't help but compare it to the borg which is all I've ever known. I was pleasantly surprised at how warm and welcoming the people were and the atmosphere was light & free, no pressure, no rules. As for the kingdom melodies, yeah, I must admit, I find myself humming them every once in a while. I had a few memorized so the words come back easily. I loved "Kiss the Son" especially the bit about "Jehovah's sword and Gideons". Also "Walking in Integrity". When I was active, I remember saying to my friend, 'I wish we were one of those jumping churches' because I love the sound of choirs, not the gospel screamers but the choirs in harmony. The singing in the KH sounded so depressing at times, like none of us were truly alive. - Victorian Sky

• Matty
    Matty
    I have met many JWs that had true talent yet I knew their compositions would never make it.

Blondie, many brothers and sisters from around the world wrote songs for inclusion in "Sing Praises...", including members of my own family. I can't go into too much detail here without compromising my anonymity, but a few of the songs got through, but certainly not the best ones in my view. Of all of the submissions, only one song actually made it to the Sing Praises book without being completely butchered by the Brooklyn Bethel writing department – you see, any submission by any brother or sister is automatically deemed as WTBTS property to do what they will. They can change any part of the lyrics and tune they want without consulting the original composer. They got badly stung by "God's Own Book, A Treasure" (where they forgot to obtain the rights to the music and were not granted the rights by the "worldly" family after the composer died) and they sure as hell won't do that again – all rights now belong to the Society of all the songs in the current songbook, the original composer has absolutely no say.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

One of the first churches I went to was similar to the one you described. And I felt just as uncomfortable as you did. I didn't know what to do. I knew I couldn't wave my arms in the air like some people. I certainly couldn't dance. But my friend that I went with said that at her church it was more important that people worship God in their own way and I could stand still or sit or wave or dance in the aisle. No one would think twice about it. So don't feel bad for your reactions. Just do what feels right for you.

As for the KM. Yea sometimes I find myself singing or humming them. I usually clamp my hand over my mouth and do my best to strangle the life out of those songs. I hated them and since I can't sing for the life of me I certainly don't want to hear my bad voice singing those bad songs.

And then I think of something better to sing even if I have to turn on the radio

• tinkerbell82
    tinkerbell82

this is so geeky, but i used to cry every time i heard the song they always sing at the baptism...'he died upon a tree/to set all mankind free"......

even though i refused to get baptized, that one still got me. also the ones that they always sang at the memorial. and 'myriads on myriads of brothers'...it was just so happy!

but i always HATED!!!!!! 'from house to house, from door to door...' uuuuuugh!!!!!!!!!

• Candlestick02
    Candlestick02

Tink: I didn't like that one either. I felt like such a cheeseball singing that one. In spanish it was slightly better ... 'De Casa en Casa.' Nah, it wasn't.

And fyi, I don't think it's cheesy that you cried at that one. If you were moved, you were. You weren't dunked? I did... at 14. But I did it cause I wanted to. I was a "good" girl. God help me. But, I still had my fun. On the sly of course. I was the elders daughter! LOL!

• joelbear
    joelbear

Dear Shelomite maiden so lovely and fair The Blazings of love are like blazes of fire unyielding as Sheol, all true love shall be Thats all I can remember. We're Jehovah's Witnesses was always a fav of mine. It was playing when I got baptized. men make gods of wood and stone but the true god they've not known he is god almighty as he's often shown other gods just cannot see what in future days will be for witnesses they look all in vain since none their godship can maintain We're jehovah's witnesses we speak out in fearlessness ours is the god of true prophecy what he foretells comes to be. my voice always broke on the cy in prophecy. witnessing exults god's name' keeps therefrom reproach and shame but it warns the wicked who god's name defame pardon it holds out to men if they turn to god again thus bearing witness brings joy and peace and hope of life that will not cease (usually a tear in my eye at this point)

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

No way.

Frannie B

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit