Do you miss the Kingdom Melodies?

by Candlestick02 30 Replies latest jw friends

• Candlestick02
    Candlestick02

Just curious. I went to the 3rd church that I've ever stepped foot into after leaving the borg 3 years ago. It was a Christian (non-demonational) church, and my friend from work (who knows my background) casually invited me to go to. So, I went. Service started at 8:30am. (Met up with my friend at 8:15am. Awfully eager, huh?! either that or stupidly punctual --that would be ME, not my friend.) As I was driving there I compared what time my old 'Sunday mtg' morning start time was. 9:30am, usually. Anyway, this one seemed a little early, but it was my fault that I was up late playing Texas Hold Em with my hubby and friends last night. So, I'm warmly greeted by my friend, and she introduces me to her friends. All very nice. Got a feeling that they were very friendly. Saw some guys checking me out, then seeing my wedding band and then looking away.. no big deal. So, the music starts at 8:30am, right on time and OMG!! There was a BAND on stage! There was a cello, some trumpets, horn, electric guitar, electric drums, a guy on the synthesizer. And it was LOUD too! Maybe a little too early in the morning for it.. but, they played well. (Note to self: don't drink too much red wine the night before you come to church again.)

So, as I'm standing there (in the front row, I might add) for the musical worship portion of the service.. I felt like a big idiot. Should I clap? I feel like a retard!! Am I supposed to sing? I just want to sit down and hear the service? Why do I have to sway or tap to the music? Am I not feeling it? Should I? Anyway, needless to say, I just stood there and timidly put my hands together as discretely as I could, while reading the words on the overhead giant screen projections. I kind of missed the quiet 'sing one song and sit down' kind of thing from the KH. I tried not to give myself too much grief about feeling weird. I was, afterall, in a new environment. I apologized to my friend who had invited me. I told her I was sorry for not participating in the musical worship thing.. I just felt strange. She was extremely nice about it and said she was just happy that I went. So, I felt comfortable. But not -- at the same time. And so I wondered, have others felt this weird experience? I remember when I was the semi-good witness (I was never a pioneer, and therefore never felt good-enough) I liked singing certain Kingdom Melodies. Sometimes it felt like I was really 'singing to God.' As in praising him? Does anyone have an experience of later feeling 'that' again? Your experiences would be helpful.

Candlestick

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I still remember and enjoy old church songs -- not keen on the newer stuff -- and call me a freak or whatever yopu like but I still enjoy Kingdom Song Book number 8 -- Loyal Submitting to Theocratic Order

• rem
    rem

You know what? I know they are awful, but I grew up on them, so I still hum them from time to time. Weird, huh?

rem

• Candlestick02
    Candlestick02

Glad I'm not the only one. It's rare of course, but when they DO pop in my head for whatever reason, I let my brain ramble on enough till I don't know the next word or verse and then I'm done. LOL!

• sandy
    sandy

LOL, I guess I can admit this. I still sing the KM every now and then too. I always have to catch myself around my family because I do not wan to give them any false hopes.

I love to sing and I love corny music with simple melodies. I guess I am still a sucker for the Kingdom Melodies.

One of my favorites is Shullamite <--- spelling? Maiden.

• El Kabong
    El Kabong

Those lyrics and tunes have been forever.......kiss the son lest God be angry and you perish in the way.....burned into our memories. We cannot ....move ahead move ahead to maturity......forget them even if we want to. They will always pop up when we least .....from house to house, from door to door.....expect them to. Nothing will ever.......Around the earth with urgency God's Angel flies, with everlasting good news high amid the skies........get them out of our head.

I think I need to go lay down ....we speak out in fearlessness.....for a while.

• Candlestick02
    Candlestick02

Wow, El Kabong, you know WAY more of the words than I do!! but, then again, I used to sing mine moreso in Spanish. LOL!

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

I had one of the worst ones pop into my head the other day. "Here I am! Send Me!". That was a funeral song. The singing from the congregation was always sad and unenthusiastic when that one was to be sang.

The only one I liked was that one "Kiss the son lest god be angry". The version with only the piano was awesome! It sounded like the one who was playing it was taking all his frustrations of the WTS out on the piano.

Other than those, I never get any kingdom melodies stuck in my head. I'm glad to be free of them. I remember at the beginning of a convention when the song would start, I'd look at my watch and think "Only 8 hours to go".

• blondie
    blondie

No. There are some songs that should be burned the tunes are so bad.

Just like everything else in the WT world music is constricted and constrained by so many rules and regulations. I have met many JWs that had true talent yet I knew their compositions would never make it. The day they required that records/cassettes/CDs be used rather than live music, I knew that there was no paradise.

Blondie (who should have left then)

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

yep, I still listen to them at times in the car. I liked Gods Loyal Love (Hey there all you thirsty ones...come and drink life waters free. etc etc) and the convention favourites Song no.4 Gods promise of a paradise, and 15. Life Without end at last..... ahhhhhhhhh

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit