TWISTING context to produce false LIGHT (Tricks our Governing Body uses)

by Terry 22 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Terry
    Terry

As a Jehovah's Witness:

Two things finally struck me:

1. I was really in a grown up kindergarten and

2. I was being spoonfed fairytale versions of the Bible.

In all the publications there would be a densely worded paragraph and two or three scripture "proof-texts" under it.

Those Bible proof-texts DID NOT support the context of the paragraphs!

Example:

The Watchtower publications convince 8 million JW's Proverbs 4:18 teaches KNOWLEDGE OF THE TRUTH grows brighter and brighter.

It does NOT. That particular scripture is talking about the PATH of a person and not "knowledge".

Read the actual scripture:

International Standard Version

The path of the righteous is like the light of dawn that grows brighter until the full light of day.

NET Bible

But the path of the righteous is like the bright morning light, growing brighter and brighter until full day.

Aramaic Bible in Plain English

But the way of the righteous ones is like the shining light, and the light progresses until the day is established.

In a previous verse, we read: 14 Do not enter the path of the wicked, And do not walk in the way of evil men.

Behavior is what is being discussed and not some ever-brightening NEW LIGHT of continually changing interpretations!

Further, by repeatedly rigging the word "knowledge" with an unnecessary modifier("accurate") the impression is burned

into every JW's mind only the WTS has this special (bogus knowledge) "accurate knowledge".

This is what is known as a FALSE DICHOTOMY: , is a logical fallacy which involves presenting two opposing views, options or outcomes in such a way that they seem to be the only possibilities: that is, if one is true, the other must be false, or, more typically, if you do not accept one then the other must be accepted

EXAMPLE:

If you go to JW.ORG and click on the NWT scripture of Proverbs 4:18, a marginal reference is given +

1 Corinthians 13:12

12 For now, we see in hazy outline by means of a metal mirror, but then it will be face-to-face.At present, I know partially, but then I will know accurately, just as I am accurately known.

Why?

The purpose is to link two bogus teachings in the mind of the reader!

Proverbs 4:18 is about a PATH of behavior. It is not about gradually changing doctrines.

1 Cor 13:12 is about CHRISTIAN MATURITY as a person. It is not about accuracy, like shooting at a target.

Question: Isn't maturity a matter of improving your behavior through life experience?

New International Version

For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

New Living Translation

Now we see things imperfectly, like puzzling reflections in a mirror, but then we will see everything with perfect clarity. All that I know now is partial and incomplete, but then I will know everything completely, just as God now knows me completely.

English Standard Version
    For now, we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known.

New American Standard Bible

For now, we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face; now I know in part, but then I will know fully just as I also have been fully known.

The Watchtower Society RE-CONTEXTS the Proverbs phrase "brighter and brighter" with the 1 Cor. 13 "accurate knowledge".

The reader is pushed along to LINK in the mind in order to FALSELY CONCLUDE:

Knowledge of the Watchtower "Truth" started out dim, but over the years has brightened by becoming more and more "accurate."

Read the verse immediately previous:

11 When I was a child, I used to speak like a child, think like a child, reason like a child; when I became a man, I did away with childish things.

Personal growth and maturity is not a matter of reading Watchtower publications!

Human beings gradually learn about themselves by looking back on their own behavior. It is how we grow.

ἐπιγινώσκω (epiginōskō)

Strong: G1921

GK: G2105

pr. to make a thing a subject of observation; hence, to arrive at knowledge from preliminaries

This teaching method of Jehovah's Witnesses is intended to direct attention toward the INDISPENSABLE NATURE OF THE GOVERNING BODY.

As if you could learn about yourself by listening to their private interpretations!

WHAT CAN WE CONCLUDE?

The Watchtower Society tries to make Bible verses which are about PERSONAL GROWTH AND MATURITY and BEHAVIOR

into Bible verses about THE GOVERNING BODY.

It's all about THEM, you see; not US!

• moggy lover
    moggy lover

Excellent summation of Prov 4:18. How's this for a false dichotomy:

If the "light" gets brighter and brighter,

does it also mean that

the "Truth" gets "truther" and "truther"?

• Zoos
    Zoos
    Try explaining that to the zombies.
  • Atlantis
    Atlantis

Terry:

.Thank you! Very interesting and accurate.

Atlantis!

• stillin
    stillin
    I had never put that together like that. Makes sense. Thanks!
  • DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

How many dubs read the surrounding verses or know what context clues are?

DD

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The question remains, how does one gain righteousness through professions and teachings of false unrighteous prophets ?

The WTS leaders have always exploited select Scriptures out of the bible to support their own created doctrines, which were convincingly used to further allure and attract attention to the literature they published.

What one can see and realize now is that they were works of commercial light utilized by operators of a profiting publishing house. $$$

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

Nicely worded Terry!

This very subject is what led me (and others I'm sure) to ttatt. I was raised as a dub and served as a pioneer, MS, elder (PO) for over a combined period of 40 years. I worked hard over many decades to deliver hundreds of talks and meeting parts that presented certain jw doctrines and teachings as "absolute truth". I used the chains 'proof texts' to further convince the congregation and individuals of "the truth".

Then, in just a few WT articles, everything that I held as undeniable truth was changed by "new light". So, like others here, I realized that if "new light" completely changed what I had spent decades believing and teaching, I had wasted a lot of time teaching and believing a bunch of bulls**t. So sad!

just saying!

eyeuse2badub

• steve2
    steve2

Excellent examples of how the organization shapes Biblical verses to suit its purpose.

Each time JWs read those verses, they understand only what the organization wants them to understand. This goes some way towards illustrating how believers in Scripture end up with very different understandings on what is being said.

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway
    Taking random scriptures out of context to prove their doctrine seems to be unique to JW's. I'm sure other cults do it too. It was interesting to me, when I first started attending another church, that the sermon would comprise of reading a whole chunk of the bible and then making application of it. No wonder most religious people aren't as good as witnesses at flipping all over the bible.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit