Alternative witnessing

by Zyron 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Muddy Waters
    Muddy Waters

Shepherdless, that is too funny!! It took me a moment to get your sense of humour (or else I'm sleepy) - but that got me laughing!! Thanks for that extra special "mile", being "cringy & awkward"!!! 😂

• shepherdless
    shepherdless

Thanks Muddy Waters.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

I find it hard to comprehend an awakened adult JW to the TTATT still going from D2D "witnessing" to people about the religion.?

Is it just me?

OK I can understand it happening with young people still living at home and under their parents control but adults ?

• carla
    carla

Shepherdless, would a jw get a talking to by an elder eventually if they did that on a regular basis? and how do jw's not do that on a regular basis? My house is a do not call so I haven't seen their presentation in awhile.

• shepherdless
    shepherdless

Sorry Carla, I am the wrong person to ask. I am not a JW.

However, my observation is that a lot of them (but certainly not all of them) come across so cringy and awkward anyway, I wonder if any elder would notice anything amiss, even if you were paired up with one going door to door.

• shepherdless
    shepherdless

I probably should add something to my earlier comments.

Many years ago, when I was at Uni, I did a bit of casual work going door to door doing market research; essentially getting people to fill out long surveys on the spot. We were given an extract from a number of extracts from street directories, and told what streets to do, within a period of a fortnight. This employer experimented, by, instead of paying an hourly rate of around $9/hr, it paid per completed survey. Well, of course, I planned my attack on each suburb to catch people at home, and pulled out every trick to get virtually everyone who opened a door to complete a survey.

I was effectively earning about $80 to $100 per hour, which was awesome for me at the time. I would finish my territories early, and go back to the office and grab more territories that other people (not as pushy as me) had retuned, and do them as well.

One thing I noticed was that I could only go in short bursts of a couple of hours at most. Once I got a little tired, and lost a little spark, doors were just closed in my face.

After a few months, the market research company went back to paying hourly rates, and so I quit.

The point is, JWs are door to door salesmen, and in my observation a lot of them are incredibly poor at it. I am not going to list what they should be doing (in case Borg spies are watching) but I can see why they fail so miserably.

Even though my first post was partly a joke, I am serious that if you want to “spoil the sale” or make sure the householder will have no interest in the message or joining the borg, there would be no better method than the one I described in my first post.

• steve2
    steve2

sherperdless, fascinating post. I get what you mean. JWs seldom door-knock round here - not as frequently as in the 1990s, anyway. And when they do, they are their own worst enemies: I never see young ones door-knocking - mainly middle-age plus age groups and dressed in ill-fitting clothes. Oh, the few men with the women still have the shirt and tie thing going on - but their clothes look so bedraggled and unimpressive. I was in my side/garage a few months ago, garage door open and an overweight, badly dressed male in his 40s bounded up to and actually inside my garage before he identified himself (and older women he was with st least had the politeness to hold bag on the pavement. I obviously didn’t know him nor he me but I took him to task for coming right into the garage and taking me by surprise. He actually denied doing so and in a huff said, “I’m not here to argue. I’ll leave this with you and go.” He went to offer me a tract. I said a firm, “No,please go.” And he pushed the matter saying, “Whst’s wrong with taking this?” Pointing to the tract. I said a curt, “Leave right now, please.” The Roman said to him, “Come on we better go.” He states at me muttering as he went. And that was that.

Extremrly off-putting and damn rude by any standards.

• problemaddict 2
    problemaddict 2

Steve that story is hilarious. I remember having the balls to straight yell into peoples houses, or walk into garages. Where did I get off!?

I'm in a metro area of southern Cali (6th largest city in the state). I am much more likely to see a cart being ignored, or spanish brothers and sisters walking slowly down the street, than I am regular door to door.

I am right in the heart of the territory i served, and know many JW's here. So it makes it a bit odd. I have let them slander me for the sake of not having people I know come to the door.

Personally, I think you HAVE TO have been a JW to really understand the oddities. Telling a householder (are you really preaching still?), to look up this forum would be confusing, and honestly, most likely you could get yourself in trouble. But I would say there is a 99% chance they won't look up either one.

The "look at our website" line.......is literally the death rattle of the public ministry. Its a total joke now.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    How about, after doing the standard presentation casually say to householder, you can also look at this forum to read of experiences of life as a JW as well as the official version?
    Obviously you need to be working by yourself or with a PIMO JW.
  • OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I typed it, but don't see it above. If you work by yourself, don't bother to do anything like that.
    Just tell people that might be the slightest bit interested something like, "I am just in it for family." Nothing else.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit