Television segment on JWs and the Australian Redress Scheme

by Listener 23 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• shepherdless
    shepherdless

I am not sure what the effect of losing charity status would be, or even what that is supposed to mean. In Aust, each congregation is registered as an individual charity, and the overall organisation in Aust is also a registered charity. If all of them cease to be charities, then they probably have to register as companies, which would mean they would have to pay tax on income, produce proper accounts, and be potentially audited. Further, making donations to “worldwide preaching work” would probably be a misuse of funds.

Alternatively, if they don’t register, as a company, and operate as a collection of like minded individuals, then that creates all sorts of other problems. For example, what happens to Kingdom Hall ownership? I suppose they could set up some sort of discretionary trust arrangement, but where land ownership is involved, that has to be recorded, and they would probably have to pay more tax than if they were regular companies.

Further, I suspect that what they really mean by “losing charitable status” is that the various state governments may appoint an external administrator to each of the charities. That would be a true disaster for the borg in Aust. I doubt it would come to that, and there will be some negotiation before the borg ends up signing to the scheme.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

shepherdless

If your wife or yourself wanted to see the project episode she could still do so , you just have to click on the catchup channel the project was on and click on the particular episode you want to view.

• resolute Bandicoot
    resolute Bandicoot

I'm loving this! Burn baby burn!

RB

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

The more I think about it, the more I wonder just how dependent the Org's business model is on its tax-exemption, particularly in the US...

...especially due to how hard (albeit quietly) they've fought over the years to keep it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit